[APR-news] Alternative Press Week in Review - June 30, 2003

Dean Thomas deanthomas at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 13:20:43 EDT 2003

www.altpr.org

Alternative Press Week in Review

Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream

June 30, 2003

A weekly roundup of news, announcements, articles and other items of interest.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-Polls&file=index&pollID=5

Poll: Who is the most notorious US war criminal alive today?

http://www.wrmea.com/us_aid_to_israel/index.htm

US Financial Aid To Israel: Figures, Facts, and Impact

Tell the US military: Free Stephen Funk Now!

http://www.notinourname.net/funk/

"I had figured out that war itself was immoral and could not be justified. Yet everyone told me it was futile to try to get out. We were trained to be subordinate in our thoughts, words, and actions. It's hard to go up against all that, even when you know you are right..."

5-Minute Video of George W. Bush on the Morning of 9/11

http://www.thememoryhole.org/911/bush-911.htm

In this footage obtained exclusively by The Memory Hole, watch as the President of the United States sits and does nothing after learning that his country is under attack. Note: This is not the truncated, 2-minute footage that has been available for a year. This is a much longer version, never before seen by the public.

http://www.siliconcreative.com/cards/

The USA's most wanted playing cards

Book of the Week

Full Spectrum Dominance: US Power in Iraq and Beyond

http://www.sevenstories.com/Book/index.cfm?GCOI=58322100353810

by Rahul Mahajan (Seven Stories Press)

Publication of the Week

Green Anarchy

http://www.greenanarchy.org

#13 - Summer 2003
The "Drop-Out and Fight-Back" summer special.

Articles of the Week

War Crimes in the Name of Freedom: 227 Years..

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=21&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

John Stanton, Alternative Press Review

As Americans prepare to celebrate their Independence Day this July 4, 2003, with a grandiose glorification of ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan-and wars from days past-it's worth remembering those millions of civilians and/or non-combatants who have died at the hands of unconstrained and psychopathic American power.

Uncle Chutzpah, On A Rampage
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Articles6/Herman_Uncle-Chutzpah.htm

Edward S. Herman, Dissident Voice

After Munich and the German takeover of Czechoslovakia in 1938 and 1939, Hitler seemed a prospective winner, and this helped him make political gains at the expense of frightened neighboring countries whose leaders didn't want to offend him. He had "momentum," based on his military power, diplomatic and military successes, and the failure of the international community to put up any resistance to his blatant aggression.

Notebook of a Prison Abolitionist

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=3831

Brooks Berndt, ZNet

In his autobiography, Frederick Douglass recalls how as a slave he would occasionally hear of the "abolitionists." He did not know the full meaning of the word at first, but he heard it used in ways that he found appealing. He heard about it when a slave ran away or killed his master. He heard about it when a barn was set on fire or a slave committed an act his master thought wrong. For Douglass, these utterances and reports were "spoken of as the fruit of abolition."

Ten appalling lies we were told about Iraq

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16274

Christopher Sheer, AlterNet

The mainstream press, after an astonishing two years of cowardice, is belatedly drawing attention to the unconscionable level of administrative deception. They seem surprised to find that when it comes to Iraq, the Bush administration isn't prone to the occasional lie of expediency but, in fact, almost never told the truth.

Natural Gas Crisis

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/062303_nat_gas_crisis.html

Dale Allen Pfeiffer, From the Wilderness

Forget about terrorists. Don't give another thought to SARS. The single greatest threat to the U.S. right now comes from a critical shortage of natural gas.

Our Machine-Age Matrix

http://www.evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=533

Jan Lundberg, EVWorld.com

Welcome to the machine: Everytown, USA. When we walk down the streets of our cities, the right angles and blocks that we navigate are part of our mechanical domestication. Control over each human and over nature is what dominant society intends every second, even over centuries. This is just as a machine is supposed to do: control a process as long as it can function.

Bush's Vietnam
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Articles6/Pilger_Iraq-Afghanistan.htm

John Pilger, Dissident Voice
The Americans call the guerrillas "Saddam loyalists" and "Ba'athist fighters", in the same way they used to dismiss the Vietnamese as "communists". Recently, in Falluja, in the Sunni heartland of Iraq, it was clearly not the presence of Ba'athists or Saddamists, but the brutal behaviour of the occupiers, who fired point-blank at a crowd, that inspired the resistance.

Too tired for fun and sex
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,987105,00.html

The Observer
The revolution has been cancelled. The utopia promised by an army of futurologists - who predicted that new technology, changing work patterns and shifting demographics would provide us all with a massive increase in our leisure time - is today exposed as a myth.

Holy Farce! WMD Castor Beans Seized by Defense Department Office of Propaganda!
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/06/26_wmd.html

Buzzflash commentary
It took me about ten minutes to find out that castor beans can be used to make a medicine that is used to induce milk production in new mothers. It is also used in paints and varnishes and of course they never use those in Iraq. Castor beans are used in the making of high performance motor oil. Oh my God, they could be trying to make a better motor oil!!

The great rainforest tragedy

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=419695

Michael McCarthy, Independent

What is being destroyed is the most species-rich habitat on Earth. It provides much of the world's oxygen. It has been the subject of more green protests, and had more voices raised in its defence, than any other piece of ground on the planet. They seem to have availed it nothing.

The Anarchists' Wedding Guide: 11 Reasons Not to Go Through with It
http://www.counterpunch.org/burke06282003.html

Adrien Rain Burke, CounterPunch

At first glance it may seem a very romantic thing: two lovers so reckless of the outcome of their passion that they are ready to sign a contract that neither of them has even seen. But wait! The author of the document is not Cupid or Venus, not their own families, not even God. This contract my darlings is drawn up by The State. But there is more--a lot more.

So, Judith Miller works for the NY Times and not DOD, right?

http://www.dailykos.com/archives/003168.html#003168

Steve Gilliard, Daily Kos

While newspapers love to tweak the oppositon, the allegations here are so serious that Times management cannot blow them off as so much confetti. If these allegations are true, she needs to go work for DOD and not pretend to be a reporter.

American military morale shaken by Iraq quagmire

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/jun2003/iraq-j27.shtml

James Conachy, WSWS

According to the Times, the soldiers' families were told on May 21 to stop sending them mail in an attempt to decrease homesickness. Some troops have sought counseling after hearing reports of sick families or unfaithful wives. One soldier told the Times: "You call Donald Rumsfeld and tell him our sorry asses are ready to come home."

Errand boy

http://www.tmtmetropolis.ru/stories/2003/06/27/120.html

Chris Floyd, Moscow Times

So now we know. After all the mountains of commentary and speculation, all the earnest debates over motives and goals, all the detailed analyses of global strategy and political ideology, it all comes to down to this: George W. Bush waged war on Iraq because, in his own words, God "instructed me to strike at Saddam."

'Iraqi Freedom' - The Human Costs of Occupation
http://www.antiwar.com/ewens/casualties.html

Mike Ewens, Antiwar.com
Rumsfeld et. al. ignore the possibility that this armed resistance is part of a general Iraqi sentiment centered on the anger of being occupied by foreign forces. A BBC article that covers the deaths of British soldiers indicates that this "terrorism" may in fact be regular Iraqis fighting for their rights, in this case demanding a right to bear arms.

How British troops became a soft target
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_26-6-2003_pg4_12

Robert Fisk, Daily Times (Pakistan)
It wasn't difficult to guess how the ambush was designed. The Americans are taking too many precautions now; they are surrounded by their tanks and armour, protecting their marble occupation palace, shooting down stone throwers with the abandon of Israeli troops. So why not go for the Americans' soft-target allies?

Hell starts now

Pepe Escobar, Asia Times

Iraqis nowadays are nearly unanimous. For them, the Bush administration wants to perpetuate the military occupation by maintaining chaos, exacerbating violence and instrumentalizing divisions among Iraqis. The facts seem to confirm their interpretation.

Welcome to the Machine: How the GOP disciplined K Street and made Bush supreme

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0307.confessore.html

Nicholas Confessore, Washington Monthly

Unlike legendary Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley, who rewarded party functionaries with jobs in the municipal bureaucracy, the GOP is building its machine outside government, among Washington's thousands of trade associations and corporate offices, their tens of thousands of employees, and the hundreds of millions of dollars in political money at their disposal.

Repression against Israeli teen refuseniks intensifies

http://www.ainfos.ca/ainfos19089.html

A-Infos

Three young refusniks delivered stirring, hours-long anti-occupation addresses of a kind never before heard in an Israeli military court. It followed yesterday's session of the resumed Ben-Artzi Trial, in which the prosecution ties itself in knots trying to prove that a pacifist is not a pacifist.

Israel takes another leap towards institutionalized apartheid
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1651.shtml

Ali Abunimah, Electronic Intifada

Palestinian-Israeli Knesset member Wasil Taha compared it to Germany's 1930s Nuremberg laws which targeted Jews and limited their civil rights, including the right to marriage. The Israeli bill is also reminiscent of apartheid-era South African laws which banned interracial marriages. And, until the Supreme Court overturned them, the United States had a long tradition of laws, specifically restricting Africans, Chinese and Japanese from obtaining citizenship, owning land or marrying whites.

Exaggeration: overestimate, overstate, hyperbolize, enlarge on, distort, expand, magnify, misquote and overdraw

William Bowles, Information Clearing House

One can only describe the corporate media's performance as craven (cowardly, fearful, week and yellow) when it comes to tackling the government over the rationale for the invasion.

Blair & Mussolini

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=418675

Nicholas Farrell, The Independent

What do Fascism's belligerent founding father and our own democratically elected Prime Minister have in common? A great deal more than you might imagine.

The Specter Of Vietnam

http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/8206

Howard Zinn, TomPaine.com

The war in Iraq is different in so many ways from the war waged by the United States in Vietnam that we wonder why, like the telltale heart beating behind the murderer's wall in Edgar Allan Poe's story, the drumbeat of Vietnam can still be heard.

Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers

http://www.counterpunch.org/jackson06252003.html

Bruce Jackson, CounterPunch

More than two dozen Buffalo police officers attacked a peaceful group of bicyclists on 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening, May 30. They kicked some and beat several with clubs and Mag-Lites. They arrested nine of them on the kind of trumped-up felony charges cops always levy when they've started a mess they shouldn't have or beaten up folks they had no right to have been bothering in the first place.

Colin Powell the liar
http://www.mediamonitors.net/khalid42.html

Khalid Amayreh, Media Monitors
Powell, a former US general whose hands are stained with the blood of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians, is now indulging in sinister lies about the Palestinian -Israeli conflict. Some of these lies are uglier than a crime.

Father protests indefinite detention of son at Guantanamo Bay
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/jun2003/hick-j25.shtml

Richard Phillips, WSWS
Early this month, Terry Hicks, David's father, decided to have himself locked inside a metal cage outside the Liberal Party's national convention in Adelaide, South Australia, in order to draw attention to his son's illegal detention. The protest attracted widespread international interest and further highlighted the conditions at Guantanamo Bay, which violate basic democratic rights, breach the Geneva Prisoner of War Conventions and constitute an international scandal.

America, Love It or Leave It?

http://www.strike-the-root.com/3/baker/baker1.html

M. Leo Baker, Strike the Root

Returning to our main analysis, assume, then, that America does stand for the federal government.  I do not love it, but why should I leave.  Why shouldn't the federal government leave, or at least leave me alone?

My America vs. the Empire
http://www.counterpunch.org/kauffman06252003.html

Bill Kauffman, CounterPunch
We are the America that suffers in wartime: we do the dying, the paying of taxes, we supply the million unfortunate sons (and now daughters) who are sent hither and yon in what amounts to a vast government uprooting of the populace. Militarism and empire are the enemies of small-town America, not only because some native sons come home in bodybags but also for the desolating fact that many never come home at all.

Dollar against Euro: The War on Iraq: US and Europe clash for World Economic Dominance
http://globalresearch.ca/articles/HEA306B.html

Geoffrey Heard, globalresearch.ca
There are many forces driving President Bush and his administration to invade Iraq, unseat Saddam Hussein and take over the country. One of the biggest is hidden and very, very simple. It is about the currency used to trade oil and consequently, who will dominate the world economically, in the foreseeable future - the USA or the European Union.

Rising Rhetoric on Genetically Modified Crops
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/2003Q1/gm.html

Andy Rowell and Bob Burton, PR Watch
"Their level of desperation appears to be increasing," says Michael Hansen, a scientist with Consumers Union in the US, who monitors the activities of the biotech industry as it lobbies for acceptance of genetically modified (GM) foods. Hansen has watched with increasing alarm as the pro-GM lobby escalates its vitriolic attacks on critics.

WMD Damage Control at the Times

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff06242003.html

David Lindorff, CounterPunch

As evidence mounts of the Bush administration's gross prevarications regarding evidence of so-called "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq, and of a never-demonstrated link between Hussein and Al Qaeda, the New York Times has taken the lead in the media at damage control.

The Circus
http://www.swans.com/library/art9/rmac08.html

Richard Macintosh, Swans
You are being lied to on a daily basis. DO YOU CARE? For the thoughtful, the search for truth is not optional. The search for truth demands thinking and discerning. The search for truth demands an unwillingness to swallow official lies whole. ARE YOU WILLING TO GET REAL?

Strange Bedfellows

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=15197&CFID=8062781&CFTOKEN=38407782

Bill Berkowitz, Working for Change

In a story which doesn't emanate from the Comedy Central, the National Enquirer, the fevered imaginings of some leftist cult, or Bill Maher, it appears United States and Pakistani intelligence officials have entered into the beginning stages of negotiations with the Taliban.

The Meaning of Rachel Corrie

http://www.counterpunch.org/said06232003.html

Edward Said, CounterPunch

We have heard so much recently about the roadmap and the prospects for peace that we have overlooked the most basic fact of all, which is that Palestinians have refused to capitulate or surrender even under the collective punishment meted out to them by the combined might of the US and Israel.

The real human shield

http://electroniciraq.net/news/911.shtml

Mark Schone, Spin
Claiborne prayed about the trip and discussed it with his mom in Tennessee. Then he shaved off three years of dreadlocks, went to Chicago for training, signed a release that absolved Voices of any responsibility in the event of his death, and boarded a plane.

Ron Kovic Reborn

http://www.newmobility.com/review_article.cfm?id=702&action=browse

Tim Gilmer, New Mobility

"We're putting all of these millions of dollars into warfare when the disabled of our country, disabled veterans and disabled citizens, are in need. Many of them live below the poverty level," says the man whose life was portrayed onscreen in 1989 by Tom Cruise.

A Peek Inside Bush's Post-War Diary: "F*** Impeachment!"

http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/impeachment.htm

Bernard Weiner, Crisis Papers

The war went well. We licked those Iraqi towelheads real quick. We didn't get Saddam, though, which is more than a little embarrassing, since we also didn't get Osama in Afghanistan. Makes me look bad. Also makes me look like I'd rather have those guys out there, scaring Americans...hee, hee, hee!

NewsWire

http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news2003/06/25/biz-front-oil25-5558.html

Cheap oil, natural gas gone, says forecaster; United States stands at 'the end of an era'

http://www.sundayherald.com/34917

US systematically crushing its citizens' rights

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=419982

Ministers knew war papers were forged

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/27/1056683906556.html

Israel: Wildcat settlers funded by 'secret state slush fund'

http://atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/EF28Ag01.html

US shooting in the dark in Afghanistan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42905-2003Jun27.html

US military commanders halt elections and self-rule in Iraq, install hand-picked puppets

http://www.swisspolitics.org/en/news/index.php?section=int&page=news_inhalt&news_id=3988520

Analysts warn of revolt in Iraq

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,201215-1-9,00.html

Dramatically increased deforestation rate in Brazil's Amazon sparking alarm

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryBusiness/cs.cs-06-27-0062.html

Gas price shock in US looms

http://hartfordadvocate.com/gbase/News/content?oid=oid:22309

We're not making this up: You can't talk back to the Office of Homeland Security

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-Jun-26-Thu-2003/21596133.html

Terrorism panic goes too far at Area 51

http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthemedia/story/0,12823,984899,00.html

US TV networks 'kissed ass'

http://www.detnews.com/2003/nation/0306/26/a06-203424.htm

Iraqi raids are 'ugly business'

http://www.news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=699792003

Iraqi villagers blame British soldiers' 'brutal' searches for massacre

http://www.iraqwar.ru/iraq-read_article.php?articleId=9832&lang=en

US soldiers in Iraq 'had enough', want to go home

http://www.iht.com/articles/100893.html

The Israelization of American policy

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/media/story.jsp?story=418401

Are American journalists simply spineless?

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2003-06/25/article04.shtml

Iraqis charge occupation forces deliberately cutting off electricity and water as collective punishment in retaliation for mounting resistance attacks

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=418979

The human cost of the 21st century's first war is already enormous

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030625/180/4i26t.html

Consumers should expect "extraordinary bills" for heating their homes this winter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28385-2003Jun24.html

More questions about Judith Miller

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-judge-quits,0,3107120.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Judge quits, calls system unjust

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/soldiers-arrest-heckler.htm

US Soldiers Arrest Teenager Who Made Fun of Them

http://www.hrw.org/press/2003/06/us062303.htm

U.S. Again Uses Enemy Combatant Label to Deny Basic Rights

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2831147,00.html

Attacks showing spreading Iraqi resistance

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,984520,00.html

Iraqi resistance spreads south, grows bolder

Six UK soldiers killed in Iraq were shot by civilians after weapons searches in homes turned into a bloody showdown

http://www.agitproperties.com/cease.htm

Fox tries to squash faux parody

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3014118.stm

French anger at Bove 'commando' arrest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/23/walq23.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/06/23/ixworld.html

Captured al-Qa'eda man was FBI spy

"Frightening" radioactivity in Iraqi villages

Burned Iraqi children refused medical help by US Army doctors

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=6078

Get us out of here! Tired and depressed GIs want to go home

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/23/1056220539905.html

Troops ain't coming home soon

Hard Times Ahead for US Army

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/643/fr2.htm

Chaos continues, resentment of US troops grows

Alternative Press Review

PO Box 4710

Arlington, VA 22204