[APR-news] Alternative Press Review -- June 27-July 12, 2004

Thomas Wheeler thomasdwheeler at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 16:03:12 EDT 2004

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org
June 27 - July 12, 2004

APR is back after a two week vacation! Here is an update covering
some of the articles and news stories over the past couple of
weeks.

The APR web site and these email news summaries currently
represent the work of one person. Although costs to operate the
web site and email list are minimal, donations are appreciated.
Donations can be mailed to: Alternative Press Review, PO Box
6245, Arlington, VA 22206. Checks payable to: Alternative Press
Review. An option to donate directly through the APR web site
will be set up in the coming weeks. I hope you continue to enjoy
these regular email news updates and I greatly appreciate your
support. - Thomas Wheeler

***
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=216&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Empire and Resistance Today
by Walden Bello, ZNet

When George W. Bush landed on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham
Lincoln off the California coast on May 1st last year to mark the
end of the war in Iraq, Washington seemed to be at the zenith of
its power, with many commentators calling it, with a mixture of
awe and disgust, the "New Rome." The carrier landing, as Canadian
scholar Anthony Hall points out, was a celebration of power-a
spectacle that was masterfully choreographed along the lines of
the American sci-fi thriller Independence Day and Leni
Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=215&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Tuck Tail and Run
By William Rivers Pitt, Truthout.org

The American people are not comfortable dealing with words like
"total failure" and "ruined credibility," but these are words
that all of us are going to have to become accustomed to.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=217&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
George W. Bush Fought the Law, But the Law Won!
By Kirsten Anderberg, www.kirstenanderberg.com

Once these 500+ people are given a day in court, if the U.S.
military cannot prove they committed crimes, and they go free,
these people are not going to go home to their countries and
extol the profound beauties of the U.S. Courts. No, they will
extol the evils of the American military. We are breeding enemies
as Americans, at every crossroads, at every turn. I remember
Americans standing in tears on 9/11, saying "We are innocent, why
us?" Well, next time that feigned ignorance will not be a
believable act.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=220&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Dispersing Demonstrations -- Or Chemical Warfare?
by James Brooks, Dissident Voice

Though it is a state secret, Israel's development of chemical and
biological weapons has been known and analyzed for decades. From
the typhoid poisoning of Palestinian wells and water supplies in
1948 to the conversion of F-16s into nerve gas 'crop dusters' in
1998, Israel has always demonstrated a strong interest in
developing CBW agents and methods for their dispersal.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=219&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Anatomy of a Home Demolition
by Am Johal

In February of this year in Israel, I arrived in the Upper
Galilee Village of al-Bea'neh a few hours after it had been under
siege during a house demolition. In its wake, it left over twenty
injured, five houses destroyed, the uprooting of an olive grove
and dozens of kindergarten students traumatized by the effects of
tear gas. For a period of time, ambulances were refused entry to
the village area.

******

Other articles of interest

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/nimmo07062004/
Clinton's Life: In the Grip of Mass Murder
By Kurt Nimmo, Press Action

Like the serial war criminal Henry Kissinger, Bill Clinton does
not deserve to walk free. I'm all for him writing books-so long
as he writes them from a cell adjoining the one holding Slobodan
Milosevic in the Hague. In fact, the crimes of Slobodan Milosevic
are nothing in comparison to the crimes of Bill Clinton. Slick
Willie is responsible for the murder of hundreds of thousands-no,
millions-of Iraqis, Serbs, and Sudanese.

http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/young/young6.html
Support the Cause of Liberty--Not the Troops
by Roger Young

Seeing how the military is bound to serve the needs of the ruling
regime, supporting the troops is contrary to and incompatible
with supporting the cause of liberty. Withholding visible support
of the troops and the de facto support of their mission will
ultimately lead to the demise of the ruling regime's legitimacy.
Tyrants without armies are helpless and impotent, powerless to
hold back the resistance of their adversaries. Without armies to
carry out his criminal, cowardly edicts, Bush II's status would
change from arrogant, obscene posturing in the Oval Office to
disgraceful, fearful crouching in a rural Virginia spider hole.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0427/hentoff.php
Disappearing Prisoners - Are they dead? Are they alive? Where is
the media? Does anybody out there care?
by Nat Hentoff, Village Voice

A startling probe on ABC's Nightline on May 13, 2004, "The
Disappeared," focused on super-secret CIA interrogation
operations overseas, about which ABC News' Chris Bury said: "We
don't know where they are being held. We don't know how many of
them there are. We don't know what the rules are." This prison
system is "so secret that its very existence is classified.

http://www.sundayherald.com/42882
'America will wake up to the deaths of their children in Iraq'

Campaigning journalist John Pilger has vehemently opposed the
Bush-Blair 'war on terror'. With power due to be handed to the
Iraqi people on Wednesday, Torcuil Crichton asked for his
thoughts on that country's future, and the prospects for world
peace

http://mondediplo.com/2004/06/01leader
'Torture in a good cause'
by Ignacio Ramonet, Le Monde diplomatique

The characteristics of colonial war are usually arrogance on the
part of the occupiers, who believe that they belong to a superior
race (more civilised, more advanced), are contemptuous of the
colonised and sometimes refuse to admit that the colonised are
even human.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5326366/site/newsweek/
Dictator-in-Waiting?
Christopher Dickey, Newsweek

Iraqis don't grow bananas, but why should that keep the Bush
administration from treating Iraq like a banana republic? The
overwhelming invasion, the ill-conceived occupation, the
obliviousness to what's thought of as native culture, and the
tendency to trust only those folks who know how to talk and act
(and make us think they think) like us-hey, that's the way we've
been coming and going in the fever ports of Central America and
the Caribbean for well over a century.

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0403a.asp
How Hitler Became a Dictator
by Jacob G. Hornberger, FFF

Whenever U.S. officials wish to demonize someone, they inevitably
compare him to Adolf Hitler. The message immediately resonates
with people because everyone knows that Hitler was a brutal
dictator. But how many people know how Hitler actually became a
dictator? My bet is, very few. I'd also bet that more than a few
people would be surprised at how he pulled it off, especially
given that after World War I Germany had become a democratic
republic.

http://www.counterpunch.org/edmonds07092004.html
Ashcroft's War on Truth
By Sibel Edmonds, CounterPunch

On Tuesday, July 6, 2004, Judge Reggie Walton made a decision and
ruled on my case. Under his ruling, I, an American citizen, am
not entitled to pursue my 1st and 5th Amendment rights guaranteed
under the Constitution of the United States. The vague reasoning
cited, without any explanation, is to protect "certain diplomatic
relations for national security." Judge Walton reached this
decision after sitting on this case with no activity for almost
two years. He arrived at this decision without allowing my
attorney and I any due process: NO status hearing, NO briefings,
NO oral argument, and NO discovery. He made his decision after
allowing the government attorneys to present their case to him,
privately, in camera, ex parte; we were not allowed to
participate in these cozy sessions.

******

NewsWire

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040628-053540-2626r
Will Caspian Sea become another Aral?

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/25887/story.htm
Israel's Renowned Red Sea Corals Near Extinction

Rice yields crashing as a result of global warming at twice the
rate predicted by climate modelers

http://www.ipsnews.org/interna.asp?idnews=24283
30 million environmental refugees

http://us.oneworld.net/article/view/89037/1/
Eighty Percent of Cancer Cases Linked to Environmental Causes

http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2004/06/72000.php
Peak oil is here

http://www.safehaven.com/article-1687.htm
The Crude Awakening

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30617FD3D5F0C768CDDAE0894DC404482
China's Boom Brings Fear of an Electricity Breakdown

Activists plan to counter military recruiting

June 30th: Bogus End To A Bogus War

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=38ead92b-c455-42d7-9a5c-643a6f8a3762
CIA knew there were no WMDs

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9041465.htm
GAO: Iraq worse off than before the war

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4956053-103550,00.html
Iraq war 'will cost each US family $3,415'

http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/07/03/d40703100483.htm
US may keep 145,000 troops in Iraq up to 5 years: Gen Myers

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/newsArticle.asp?id=1782
More than 16,000 Wounded and Injured from Iraq War

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/07/09/iraq.main/index.html
Death toll for U.S.-led coalition in Iraq tops 1,000

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/748113BB-1DD5-4145-AF99-0E4E1C3ECE00.htm
US calls up more soldiers

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/070804M.shtml
Soldiers near breaking point

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/jul2004/post-j09.shtml
One in six US veterans of Iraq war suffers trauma disorders

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Reservist%20Lawsuit
Ex-Army reservist sues to avoid recall

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1256558,00.html
Lila Lipscomb: The lie that killed my son

Army Stage-Managed Fall of Hussein Statue

http://www.counterpunch.org/fisk07032004.html
Pentagon Tried to Censor Saddam's Hearing

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/jul2004/huss-j05.shtml
Saddam Hussein in court: a show trial made in the USA

Bread and circuses. Keep the people distracted. Show them Saddam.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1248753,00.html
Billions of revenue from oil 'missing'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/06/27/wirq127.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/06/27/ixnewstop.html
New Iraqi police fight US troops who trained them

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040630/1/3ldzs.html
Iraqi security forces plagued by mass desertions

Israeli interrogators in Iraq

http://newstandardnews.net/content/?action=show_item&itemid=653
Mounting Evidence Suggests Israeli Operatives Working in Occupied
Iraq

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/print.php?sid=16874
Ashcroft continues to censor translator who says 9/11 could have
been prevented

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/print.php?sid=16934
Oopsies! Pentagon says Bush records of National Guard service
were destroyed

http://www.hindustantimes.com/2004/Jun/30/919_855831,001800030001.htm
Bush going crazy, aides say

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4799.shtml
Cheney faces criminal indictments

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/soundoff/story.html?id=9848cd3a-c74a-41ee-8595-ddaa9c40ba0e
The 'evil empire' is next door, Canadian youth say

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/jun2004/terr-j30.shtml
US: jury acquits Idaho webmaster of terrorism charges

http://newstandardnews.net/content/?action=show_item&itemid=646
Anti-biotech Artist Indicted for Possessing 'Harmless' Bacteria,
FBI confiscates artwork critical of biotechnology

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=114&sid=65902
Midwest theaters ban Fahrenheit 9/11