[APR-news] Alternative Press Review - October 5, 2004

Thomas Wheeler thomasdwheeler at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 17:34:37 EDT 2004

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org
Tuesday - October 5, 2004

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=325&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
The Only Thing We Have to Fear... A Century of Waiting for the Fascists to
Arrive
By Mickey Z.

Whether we want to accept it or not; we've heard it all before. The fascists
are perpetually at the gate, it seems. But, I submit: Are Bush's efforts
truly more frightening than, say, Woodrow Wilson's repressive behavior
during World War I? "Conformity will be the only virtue and any man who
refuses to conform will have to pay the penalty," Wilson warned...and he had
the newly minted Espionage and Sedition Act to back him up.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=326&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Disrupting America's Fateful Non-Debate on the Roots of Terror
By M. Junaid Alam

On September 11th, nineteen hijackers commandeered four airliners and guided
three of them into important symbols of American power with lethal
precision. An unsuspecting citizenry, quite unaware of events outside the
national purview, suddenly found 3,000 of its countrymen killed at the hands
of a few fanatics from a far off part of the world. One would expect that,
in a democratic country which prides itself on freedom of speech and press,
wide-ranging diversity of opinions, and quality of intellectual debate and
scholarship, one of the responses to the horrific attacks would be a
rigorous and reflective discussion of why they happened. Three years on,
what we have instead is the ceaseless, unchallenged mass production - and
consumption - of a core set of noxious lies about September 11th that form
the foundation of a perpetual, bloody, boundless, and winless war.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=323&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Beyond Dissent
By Jeffrey "Free" Luers

The United States has a long history of protest and dissent. Indeed, it
could be argued that had the American Revolution not been co-opted by the
rich and powerful this country might have been great. However, even the
failure of the revolution to accomplish real and true change was not enough
to stop the tide of dissent and rebellion. In fact, there are notable
rebellions as early as 1780 in which unpaid soldiers of the revolutionary
war, poor farmers and laborers took up arms against the government.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=324&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
TORTURE AND GENOCIDE, AN AMERICAN TRADITION
By Janis Schmidt, www.vivelecanada.ca

America was founded on the blood, torture, and genocide of MILLIONS!! of
Indians! America was founded on theft of Indian lands, deception, fraud, and
dishonesty. Why does this newly discovered round of tortures perpetuated by
Americans on their helpless victims, the Iraqis, come as such a surprise?

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=322&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
UNNATURAL DISASTER RAVAGES HAITI
This Week in Haiti, haitiprogres.com

Haiti's bourgeoisie, in concert with the U.S. State Department, has
capitalized on the giant urban labor pool to set up industrial parks of
sweatshops paying pennies a day to assemble everything from baseballs and
brassieres to high-heels and calculators for export. They have appropriated
Haiti's principal dam at Peligre, to produce hydroelectric power for their
factories rather than to provide irrigation and flood control (its original
purpose) to the now flooded Artibonite Valley.

******
Beyond the Mainstream Blog

http://beyondthemainstream.blogspot.com/2004/09/putting-lipstick-on-pig-welcome-to-no.html
Putting Lipstick on a Pig: Welcome to the No-Bad News Zone

While the spineless military brass threatens truth-tellers in their ranks
who don't properly spout government-approved propaganda, the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS) has a more subtle approach in dealing with the
media. In These Times reports on the DHS counterterrorism workshops for
journalists whose goal is to give the press "a detailed playbook" on the
proper strategies and the government-approved sources for dealing with a
crisis.

http://beyondthemainstream.blogspot.com/2004/10/charade-in-florida.html
Charade in Florida

One interesting thing about this so-called debate on foreign policy is
Israel was almost completely absent. Israel got mentioned twice. Bush
claimed that "a free Iraq will help secure Israel," while Kerry stated he
was "going to get it right for those soldiers, because it's important to
Israel, it's important to America, it's important to the world, it's
important to the fight on terror." Interesting that Israel was mentioned
first in that list of important matters. That's the most important thing
American soldiers are fighting for - Israel?

http://beyondthemainstream.blogspot.com/2004/10/energy-worries.html
Energy Worries

This week crude oil closed above $50 a barrel for the first time ever. It
was $30 a year ago. Natural gas briefly spiked over $7 per million British
thermal units (Btu) before settling at $6.77 Btu. It spent the past several
months around $5 to $6 Btu. Heating oil hit a new record high just a shade
under $1.40 a gallon. It was 74 cents a year ago.

******
Other articles of interest

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/100404_we_did_it.shtml
World's Seven Largest Economies (G7) Admit They Have No Idea How Much Oil Is
Left - Issue Emergency Call for Transparency at DC Summit
by Michael C. Ruppert, From the Wilderness

Oil has broken $50 a barrel. Financial pundits such as T. Boone Pickens have
said that we will see $60 oil before we see $40 oil again (if ever). In the
G7 and around the world from the Philippines, to Brunei, to Scotland, to New
Zealand, to China, to Thailand, to Japan, to Britain, to the US, many
nations are either urgently looking at and discussing impending economic
collapse, blackouts and food shortages. Others are already experiencing
blackouts, brownouts, power cutbacks, or projecting possible lethal power
outages this winter. Economic concerns may very soon be pushed aside by
issues of simple survival. China's food production has been plummeting for
years and overall the entire planet is yielding less and less food which
requires ten calories of hydrocarbon energy for every calorie eaten.

http://207.44.245.159/article6983.htm
Iraq: Sanatized Slaughter
By Ted Lang, Information Clearing House

Considering the abundance of horror photos on the Internet showing our
military's success in terms of air strike attacks upon civilian targets
causing a staggering loss of life, and showing small children who have lost
arms and legs, and the endless photos of dead babies who never had a chance
at life thanks to America's selfless zeal to bring democracy to the Iraqis,
one needs to demand: Where are the mainstream media accounts of these
atrocities?

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#109682317800277775
Samarra Burning...

The last few days have been tense and stressful. Watching the military
attacks on Samarra and hearing the stories from displaced families or people
from around the area is like reliving the frustration and anger of the war.
It's like a nightmare within a nightmare, seeing the corpses pile up and
watching people drag their loved ones from under the bricks and steel of
what was once a home. To top it off, we have to watch American military
spokespersons and our new Iraqi politicians justify the attacks and talk
about 'insurgents' and 'terrorists' like they actually believe what they are
saying... like hundreds of civilians aren't being massacred on a daily basis
by the worlds most advanced military technology.

http://207.44.245.159/article7014.htm
This is a Massacre, Not a War in Iraq
Sam Hamod, ICH

This is a massacre, not a war in Iraq. The U.S. bombing Samarra, Fallujah,
Baghdad and other cities, killing hundreds of civilians and calling them
terrorists is like the massacres of the Native Americans during America's
push westward. In this case, it has to do with America's push eastward.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/oct2004/sadi-o01.shtml
Washington's policy of sadism and sexual abuse: excerpts from Seymour
Hersh's
Chain of Command
By Barry Grey, WSWS

In his valuable book, Chain of Command, published earlier this month
(HarperCollins Publishers), investigative reporter Seymour Hersh debunks the
official myth that the US atrocities exposed at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad
were the work of a handful of "bad apples" among American military police
stationed at the prison. He presents an irrefutable case that the torture
and sexual humiliation inflicted on Iraqi detainees were the result of
policy decisions made at the highest levels of the American military and
civilian command.

>From Baghdad: A Wall Street Journal Reporter's E-Mail to Friends
by Farnaz Fassihi

Being a foreign correspondent in Baghdad these days is like being under
virtual house arrest. Forget about the reasons that lured me to this job: a
chance to see the world, explore the exotic, meet new people in far away
lands, discover their ways and tell stories that could make a difference.
Little by little, day-by-day, being based in Iraq has defied all those
reasons. I am house bound. I leave when I have a very good reason to and a
scheduled interview. I avoid going to people's homes and never walk in the
streets. I can't go grocery shopping any more, can't eat in restaurants,
can't strike a conversation with strangers, can't look for stories, can't
drive in any thing but a full armored car, can't go to scenes of breaking
news stories, can't be stuck in traffic, can't speak English outside, can't
take a road trip, can't say I'm an American, can't linger at checkpoints,
can't be curious about what people are saying, doing, feeling.

http://context.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/10/01/120.html
The Barbarians: "Vote for the president -- or we'll burn your house down!"
By Chris Floyd, Moscow Times

Installee Hamid Karzai, facing election on Oct. 9 (in those isolated
portions of the country not controlled by the "defeated" Taliban, that is),
has hit upon a novel campaign strategy, the BBC reports: arson. Tribal
chiefs touting their fellow Pashtun for prez have broadcast explicit
warnings to their people: Anybody who doesn't vote for Karzai will have
their house burned down and their family cut off from all communal
activities, such as weddings and funerals. Karzai, the polished sophisticate
whose urbane manner and dynamite threads have put a glamorous face (Ben
Kingsley's face, actually) on the Bush Regime's atrocious botching of the
Afghan adventure, urbanely refused to condemn this barbarity on his behalf.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9115,1318186,00.html
Paradise cleansed: Our deportation of the people of Diego Garcia is a crime
that cannot stand
John Pilger, The Guardian

There are times when one tragedy, one crime tells us how a whole system
works behind its democratic facade and helps us to understand how much of
the world is run for the benefit of the powerful and how governments lie. To
understand the catastrophe of Iraq, and all the other Iraqs along imperial
history's trail of blood and tears, one need look no further than Diego
Garcia.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB135/index.htm
The Kissinger State Department Telcons
National Security Archive

Secretary of State Henry Kissinger berated top aides for State Department
efforts in 1976 to restrain human rights abuses by military dictators in
Chile and Argentina, according to newly declassified transcripts of Mr.
Kissinger's telephone calls ("telcons") posted on the Web today by the
National Security Archive at George Washington University.

******
NewsWire

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-09282004-373236.html
The New Stasi: Truckers, toll takers, road crews and bus drivers being
recruited for homeland security

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/story/2004/10/2/152919/717
Homeland Security memo exposes effort to manipulate media

http://207.44.245.159/article6980.htm
Plan Would Let U.S. Deport Suspects to Nations That Might Torture Them

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1506&e=11&u=/afp/us_vote_kerry_media
Fox admits reporter posted fake story about Kerry

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100104B.shtml
U.S. Military Is Stretched Too Thin, Defense Board Warns

Army: Reservists Not Reporting for Duty

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/03/weekinreview/03dao.html
THE DRAFT: The Option Nobody's Pushing. Yet.

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/article_10198.shtml
How Far Away is a Selective Service Draft?

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6394225
Army to Call Up 5,000 More Ex-Soldiers in 2005

Iraq: Injured Troops Pay Cut In Half

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_care_100404,00.html
War Veterans Overloading VA

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6389252
Freed Italian Hostage Says Iraq Rebels 'Justified'

Pentagon Iraq Strategy Failing

http://www.iht.com/articles/541866.htm
Surprise announcement: Poland to pull out of Iraq in 2005

Over 70 Palestinians Killed in Deadliest Israeli Offensive in Gaza Since
Intifada

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1319776,00.html
50,000 trapped by Israeli assault on Gaza

http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=10/5/2004&Cat=2&Num=008
Israeli commandos and pilots conducting special operations in Iraq: sources

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1154282004
US forces plan to 'flatten Falluja' before Iraq's first vote

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/oct2004/iraq-o04.shtml
US troops storm the Iraqi city of Samarra

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/25269.html
Samarra residents furious at US slaughter of women and children, lack of
water and electricity

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=568511
Civilians bear brunt as Samarra 'pacified'

http://electroniciraq.net/news/1662.shtml
WFP survey shows high prevalence of food insecurity in Iraq

Afghanistan: Thousands of Civilian Casualties

http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=121
Overfishing threatening more than two-thirds of the world's most valuable
fish species

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/arctic-04j.html
Arctic Sea Ice Continues Rapid Decline

http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=120
Mammoth Toxic Algae Bloom Sighted Off Washington State Coast

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6407911&section=news
Denmark to Claim North Pole, Hopes to Strike Oil

http://www.times-standard.com/Stories/0,1413,127~2902~2443744,00.html
Richard Heinberg predicts coming resource crunch

http://www.aapg.org/explorer/2004/10oct/mexico.cfm
Geology Beckons: Mexico's coming steep decline in energy production

http://www.detnews.com/2004/editorial/0410/04/a17-291458.htm
Gas prices soar as oil reserves near peak

BBC: Oil surges to another record high, world output near full capacity

http://www.energybulletin.net/2356.html
Oh, no! Has the world reached 'peak oil'?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2004-10-04-gas-prices_x.htm
U.S. gasoline pump price highest since mid-June

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/oct2004/nige-o04.shtml
Nigerian government launches assault on civilians in Delta region

http://www.indybay.org/news/2004/10/1697271.php
UN/Brazilian Troops stand-by as Haitian police provoke violence

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=04/10/03/4753246
Paramilitaries shoot Aristide supporters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4534209,00.html
Pro-Aristide Marchers Wield Machetes, Threaten to Defend Themselves, Attack
Police in Campaign Dubbed "Operation Baghdad"

Canadian city blocks memorial to US draft evaders

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1317386,00.html
Justice Antonin Scalia says orgies are the way to ease social tensions

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-040929dpfreegans,1,7680681.story?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl
One man's trash . . . Freegans say they dine well - and make an important
political statement - by eating food thrown away by stores and restaurants

http://www.ocap.ca/ocapnews/foodgrab.html
Food grab: Ontario Coalition Against Poverty takes $3500+ worth of groceries
and distributes successfully

******
To help support Alternative Press Review you can make donations online at
the APR website (www.altpr.org), or send donations by mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245
Arlington, VA 22206