[APR-news] December 6, 2005

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 23:51:42 GMT 2005

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org
December 6, 2005

http://www.ucomics.com/jeffdanziger/2005/12/03/
All the news we can pay people to run

http://www.ep.tc/grenada/index.html
CIA Propaganda from the Past  --  Grenada: Rescued from rape and slavery

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43189/print/
The Onion: Voice Of God Revealed To Be Cheney On Intercom

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=546&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Tea for Two
By Remi Kanazi

According to the PM's top advisor, Eyal Arad, Sharon will introduce a new
equation, "security for independence." Arad argued that the issue of land is
not central to the conflict, contending that security is the real
complication. Arad is correct in giving weight to security. Over the last
five years Palestinians have been bombarded by Israeli gunship helicopters
armed with hellfire missiles and occupied by tanks which have killed
hundreds of lives and destroyed billions of dollars worth of infrastructure.
We can't forget the American made Caterpillar D-9 bulldozers that demolished
thousands of Palestinian homes and helped build the insidious path of the
Apartheid Wall. I wonder when the Palestinian people will feel one ounce of
security from their occupiers?

******
Other articles of interest

Hidden in Plane Sight: U.S. Media Dodging Air War in Iraq
Norman Solomon, Common Dreams

The U.S. government is waging an air war in Iraq. "In recent months, the
tempo of American bombing seems to have increased," Seymour Hersh reported
in the Dec. 5 edition of The New Yorker. "Most of the targets appear to be
in the hostile, predominantly Sunni provinces that surround Baghdad and
along the Syrian border." Hersh added: "As yet, neither Congress nor the
public has engaged in a significant discussion or debate about the air war."

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/anarchists12062005/
It's Freaky: Anarchism No Longer a Fringe Passion at the Post
Press Action

The Washington Post deserves credit for publishing two articles in recent
months that refer to anarchists, without any hint of ridicule or
disparagement. That's truly unusual for a newspaper notorious for running
news and commentary that either derides or omits mention of any political
movement that falls outside the narrow ideological confines of the
Democratic and Republican parties.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_joshua_f_051205_changing_courses_3f_jo.htm
Changing Courses? John Murtha is no Knight in Shining Armor
Joshua Frank, OpEd News

If you've had the misfortune of tuning into Murtha's latest press
conferences or TV showcases these past few weeks, you would not have heard
him utter the word "withdrawal" -- not a once did the word turn off his
seasoned political tongue. Instead what you would have heard was
"redeployment" over and again. As the antiwar movement calls for the troops
to come home now, Murtha has quite a different suggestion of what to do with
them, and redeployment is just a cover word for a greater war agenda.

http://jack-dalton.blogspot.com/2005/12/when-criminals-rule-and-what-we-must.html
When Criminals Rule and What We Must Do About It
Jack Dalton, Jack's "Straight-Speak"

There is a lot of political rhetoric coming from the Democratic Party about
the "culture of corruption" within the Republicans in congress and the White
House. While there is a culture of corruption within the Republican Party,
the Democratic Party has absolutely nothing to hoot about! They have been at
the "feed trough" for as long as the Republicans. One party with two
different names the way I see it. Just the investigation on and around Jack
Abramoff is in itself enough to confirm that.

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Dec05/Rajiva1206.htm
The Torture-Go-Round: The CIA's Illegal Rendition Flights
Lila Rajiva, Dissident Voice

Dana Priest's recent Washington Post article, "Anatomy of a CIA 'rendition'
gone wrong" only confirms what those who have watched the torture scandal
closely already know. Abu Ghraib was no anomaly but the most visible tip of
a widespread but clandestine policy.

http://www.nocompromise.org/issues/28peteryoung.html
Interview with Peter Young
No Compromise Magazine

We hit the fur industry because, in terms of immediate effects, I know of no
action with greater yield than a mink release. The most common criticism of
live liberations - that the liberated animals are just replaced -- does not
apply. A mink farm's closed breeding system means that when its animals are
gone, they're gone. At least one of the farms we visited is now closed.
Above all, we raided fur farms because we had no excuse not to raid fur
farms. It's just too easy. Two people can liberate 1,000 mink every 15
minutes. I believe if most people knew the simplicity of these actions, they
would spend a little less time on instant messenger and a little more time
tearing down fences.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5349045-103677,00.html
The most destructive crop on earth is no solution to the energy crisis
George Monbiot, The Guardian

By promoting biodiesel as a substitute, we have missed the fact that it is
worse than the fossil-fuel burning it replaces.

http://www.alternet.org/story/29107/
Accidental Activists
Michael Blanding, AlterNet

For Craig and Cindy Corrie, the death of their daughter in Israel was the
start of a new mission in life: continuing her campaign for human rights in
Palestine.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002661006_sunstamper04.html
Legalize drugs - all of them
Norm Stamper, Seattle Times

Sometimes people in law enforcement will hear it whispered that I'm a former
cop who favors decriminalization of marijuana laws, and they'll approach me
the way they might a traitor or snitch. So let me set the record straight.
Yes, I was a cop for 34 years, the last six of which I spent as chief of
Seattle's police department. But no, I don't favor decriminalization. I
favor legalization, and not just of pot but of all drugs, including heroin,
cocaine, meth, psychotropics, mushrooms and LSD.

******
NewsWire

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512050010
NBC anchor Brian Williams: Bush administration has "right" to buy media
coverage

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1657596,00.html
Bush administration will pay both at home and in Iraq for buying puff pieces
in the media

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10313763/
FBI faked terror probe documents

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2005/11/domestic_milita.html
Domestic military intelligence is back

http://www.terradaily.com/news/human-05zzc.html
New Maps Reveal True Extent Of Human Footprint On Earth

Food Crisis Feared as Fertile Land Runs Out

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/science/06WILD.html
In Mongolia, an 'Extinction Crisis' Looms

http://www.terradaily.com/news/climate-05zzzzzzr.html
Warming Could Free Far More Carbon From High Arctic Soil

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/2646
Unaddressed Health Hazards Persist as New Orleans Slowly Rebuilds

http://www.organicconsumers.org/epa6.cfm
EPA to allow pesticide testing on orphans and mentally handicapped children

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/12/04/news/community/asun01.txt
Forcing pills on patients is not the answer

Counter-Recruitment Day Sweeps U.S. Colleges

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7747.shtml
Deck the halls with mobs of shoplifters

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/fd9ce7c4-6694-11da-884a-0000779e2340.html
Iraq oil production on the decline

UK breaking international law over CIA kidnapping flights

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

To help support Alternative Press Review you can make donations online at
the APR website (www.altpr.org), or send donations by mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245
Arlington, VA 22206