[APR-news] Weekend Edition (December 23-26, 2005)

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 18:29:15 GMT 2005

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org - Weekend Edition (December 23-26, 2005)

"I never believed in Santa Claus because I knew no white dude would come
into my neighborhood after dark." - Dick Gregory

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/awards12222005/
Press Action Awards for 2005

http://usa.mediamonitors.net/content/view/full/24174
Announcing the P.U.-litzer Prizes for 2005

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=560&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
The Citizens Metamorphosis: The Transition to Direct Action
by Ingmar Lee

The only German soldiers who are recognized as genuine military heroes after
WWII are people like Claus Von Stauffenberg, who along with Wilhelm Canaris,
Carl Goerdeler, Julius Leber, Ulrich Hassell, Hans Oster, Henning von
Tresckow, Fabin Schlabrendorff, Peter von Wartenburg, Ludwig Beck, and Erwin
von Witzleben attempted to assassinate Adolph Hitler. There will never be a
heroic epitaph written for those soldiers who have volunteered for George
Bush's Iraq massacre, but whoever amongst them who works to frag this
scourge and his war-chest will have done humanity and the good Earth the
ultimate service.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=559&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Letter From a Military Mom: Domestic Spying & Incident of Intimidation of
Military Families

It wasn't that long ago that the military command in Iraq started pulling
computer access to various units. Seems some of the troops were writing
emails home to family, to friends, to various anti-war groups and the like,
and the military was getting a bit disconcerted by that. After all, can't
have your own troops pretty much turning the "official news" on its head now
can you? So what do you do? You shut them up and any way that you can. Let
them know they are monitored works pretty good. But, what about the "moms"
back home that are writing on the internet? Moms like Robin Vaughan, whose
letter detailing her recent experiences with the Department of Defense and
the Army is below.

******
Other articles of interest

http://lefti.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_lefti_archive.html#113543885476077988
The Washington Shill
Eli Stephens, Left I on the News

The importance of the air war in Iraq has been emphasized here many times,
and its recent escalation has been a subject of discussion by Dahr Jamail,
Norman Solomon, and others. The Washington Post finally catches on,
summarizing American offensive actions last month by citing a source
claiming that 97 civilians were killed last month as part of the air war in
Anbar province ("Operation Steel Curtain"), and notes an increase from 25
airstrikes last January to 120 in November. But outside of those basic facts
(and the first isn't actually stated as fact), the article from one end to
another could have been (and for all I know was) written by the U.S.
military propaganda office (or its outsourced PR firm).

http://www.counterpunch.org/rajiva12242005.html
Begging for the Brownshirts: Horowitz Solicits for Campus Hit-Jobs
Lila Rajiva, CounterPunch

David Horowitz frequently, I should say incessantly, corresponds with me.
Why, I don't know. I am quite sure he doesn't either. But someone on his
payroll sends missives out to me regularly, informing me of one or other of
Mr. Horowitz's perennial campaigns against anti-Americans and terrorist
sympathizers. This time he seems to be raising money for a website to
monitor and attack what he calls "campus radicals."

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Dec05/Stanton1222.htm
Monitoring the US Government-Corporate Leviathan
John Stanton, Dissident Voice

Is anyone really surprised that the USA now openly advocates torture, spying
on its own citizens, or equates dissent with aiding and abetting the "brutal
killers" as Bush describes them. Ummm, should US homegrown serial killers be
designated enemy combatants? Who could argue with a clear conscience that
the US didn't have 911 coming. Civilians are innocent, the American
fundamentalists say. Oh me, oh my, the victimized USA and so much innocence
lost on that day. That sentimental dream went out the window long ago with
the Allied bombing of Dresden in WWII and the firebombing and subsequent use
of nuclear weapons against Japan. Add Rwanda and Darfur to that and, right
at home, add decades of US government's approved racial segregation, plus
the US government's response to Katrina and, for that matter, 911. Useless
commissions, staged congressional hearings, a senseless sense of congress, a
presidential press conference. All by formula, of course. What's the point?
Nothing changes. The USA is no victim or innocent bystander in the world's
machinations.

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=20106
'There is no war on terror' -- Noam Chomsky says Iraq debate must return to
Earth
Geov Parrish, Working for Change

George Bush would be in severe political trouble if there were an opposition
political party in the country. Just about every day, they're shooting
themselves in the foot. The striking fact about contemporary American
politics is that the Democrats are making almost no gain from this. The only
gain that they're getting is that the Republicans are losing support. Now,
again, an opposition party would be making hay, but the Democrats are so
close in policy to the Republicans that they can't do anything about it.
When they try to say something about Iraq, George Bush turns back to them,
or Karl Rove turns back to them, and says, "How can you criticize it? You
all voted for it." And, yeah, they're basically correct.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/denson4.html
Soldiers Against War: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce
John V. Denson, LewRockwell.com

The Christmas Truce, which occurred primarily between the British and German
soldiers along the Western Front in December 1914, is an event the official
histories of the "Great War" leave out, and the Orwellian historians hide
from the public. Stanley Weintraub has broken through this barrier of
silence and written a moving account of this significant event by compiling
letters sent home from the front, as well as diaries of the soldiers
involved. His book is entitled Silent Night: The Story of the World War I
Christmas Truce. The book contains many pictures of the actual events
showing the opposing forces mixing and celebrating together that first
Christmas of the war.

A New Phase of Bright Spinning Lies About Iraq
Norman Solomon, Common Dreams

American opponents of this war often emphasize the deaths and injuries of
U.S. troops and the anguish of loved ones at home. At the same time, to
whatever extent it's a conscious strategy or a genuine nationalistic form of
narcissism, Americans who denounce the war commonly seem to be playing to a
media gallery that can easily acknowledge the importance of American
lives -- but downplays the loss of Iraqi lives unless those tragedies can be
pinned on enemies of the U.S. occupation.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_john_kel_051221_wanted_for_war_crime.htm
Wanted for War Crimes: Why are we just talking impeachment?
John Kelley, OpEdNews

The Nazis were indicted on four points: 1. Conspiracy to commit crimes
against peace. 2. Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression. 3. War
Crimes. 4. Crimes Against Humanity. There is no doubt that key members of
the administration including the President conspired to lie to the American
people and are guilty of the first two points. It can easily be argued that
they are guilty of points three and four based on their violations of
previously signed treaties, the United Nations Charter, and the Geneva
Convention. The administration used weapons of mass destruction including
cluster bombs, fuel air bombs, kidnapped Afghan "enemy combatants", denied
them their rights under the Geneva Convention and plans on executing them.

http://jack-dalton.blogspot.com/2005/12/he-dared-to-challenge-power-part-two.html
He Dared to Challenge Power, Part Two
Jack Dalton, Jack's "Straight Speak"

5 months ago, Sgt Kevin Benderman was court-martialed by the Army at FT
Stewart, GA. on the charge of "Missing a Movement to Avoid Hazardous Duty".
This was how the Army chose to handle Sgt Benderman's Conscientious Objector
application. One major problem with this conviction: Sgt Kevin Benderman was
never given orders to redeploy to Iraq.

Dishonest Brokers
Remi Kanazi, ICH

One cannot expect Hamas to renew the terms of the cease-fire if it's
punished by the international community for trying to adhere to democratic
principles while its "partner for peace" flagrantly violates the terms of
the cease-fire. On December 21, Al Jazeera reported that a Hamas leader was
killed by Israeli forces in the Occupied Territories. This should be
condemned by America, the EU and the rest of the international community to
prevent further flare-ups in the conflict. Deterring democracy in the
Palestinian territories will only bring Israel further away from peace.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1672428,00.html
Strip tease
Gary Younge, The Guardian

How did a young African-American manage to sell a pro-black-power, leftwing
cartoon strip to more than 300 newspapers - and a cable channel to boot?
Gary Younge meets Aaron McGruder, creator of the Boondocks

******
NewsWire

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/5955
Bombing Al-Jazeera: It's no Joke

http://kurtnimmo.com/?p=170
Neocons Use CNN to Continue Psyops Against American Muslims

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1958479,00.html
Unknown 30-year-old Oxford graduate made millions running the Pentagon's
propaganda war in Iraq

Too many Arabs have functioning bullshit detectors: US govt. to suspend
publication of its propaganda magazine

9/11 Gone Wild: "We are being asked to destroy our country in order to save
it"

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/dec2005-daily/25-12-2005/world/w2.htm
Is the US State Department still keeping April Glaspie under wraps?

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L23196165.htm
Christmas truce still stirs Europe 90 years later

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=121704
Authorities claim eco-liberation suspect committed suicide

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=97222&ran=143235
FBI tried to link PETA to terror groups

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/12/23/wiretaps_said_to_sift_all_overseas_contacts/
NSA monitoring all international phone calls, emails and contacts

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/nest/051222nest.htm
Nuclear monitoring of Muslims done without warrants in US

Federal Agents' Visit Was a Hoax: Student Admits He Lied About Mao Book

http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2005/12/22/isrlpa12345.htm
Gaza Power Cut Would Violate Laws of War

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/dec2005/2005-12-20-03.asp
Permafrost meltdown across the Arctic

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

To help support Alternative Press Review you can make donations online at
the APR website (www.altpr.org), or send donations by mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245
Arlington, VA 22206