[APR-news] APR -- November 4-6, 2005

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 01:14:03 GMT 2005

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org
November 4-6, 2005

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails
of the last priest." - Denis Diderot, France, 18th century

"Humanity will not be happy until the last bureaucrat is hanged with the
guts of the last capitalist." - Situationist International, France, 1968

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=520&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
We Don't Need Them
by Joe Carpenter

I've never understood the idea of speaking truth to power. The truth,
surely, is that in almost all countries of the world, political and economic
systems are designed to benefit only the rich and powerful, at the expense
of those with less money and power. This is how the world works, and I see
no reason to think that the powerful don't already understand that. After
all, they designed it; they maintain it. They steal our money, sacrifice our
children in their wars, send the poorest and most victimized among us off to
jail for petty mistakes, and crush those of us who might present a real
threat to the arrangement. They know we don't like it. They don't care. They
don't need to care. They also control most of our avenues of dissent. It's a
very simple, very elegant design.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=521&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
People of the Dome, Revisited
by Mitchel Cohen

Attempts to starve civilians into leaving an area is a war crime under the
Geneva Conventions. Who gave the order to block water and food from entering
New Orleans? Who ordered the drinking water inside the city to be turned
off? No one has yet answered those questions.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=519&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
IRAN-MONGER
By SchNEWS

Iran is the new Iraq. The reaction of the US and UK leaders to a comment
made by the Iranian President couldn't have shown that more clearly. OK, so
President Ahmadinejad's comments about wiping Israel off the map were never
going to help them get a win-new-Western-friends award but they weren't
supposed to be taken as a statement outlining foreign policy intentions.
They were part of a speech to a student conference in Tehran where he went
on to say that the Palestine issue would continue until "a democratic
government elected by the people comes to power". And comments like this
have been standard rhetoric for Iranian Presidents ever since the Islamic
revolution of 1979. So why all the big fuss now?

******
Other articles of interest

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/index.php
SMEARING CHOMSKY - THE GUARDIAN IN THE GUTTER
Media Lens

This is one of the most shocking and appalling media smears we have seen -
and we have been shocked and appalled many times in the past.

http://kurtnimmo.com/?p=95
Liberals and Faux Conservatives: Two Sides of the Same Authoritarian Coin
Kurt Nimmo, kurtnimmo.com

Democrats and liberals seem incapable of understanding it does not matter if
a Democrat or Republican is in office-there will be invasions, mass murder,
corporate thievery, neolib foreign and economic policy, encroachments on the
Constitution and liberty, and an ever-growing police state and police state
outrages (the Democrat Clinton, after all, oversaw the incineration of
babies at Waco). Moreover, as history demonstrates, more Democrats have
started wars than Republicans. Of course, since many Republicans are now
neocons (and many founding neocons are former Trotskyites), this has become
a moot point.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=43&ItemID=9048
Drifting towards a Police State
Mike Whitney, ZNet

Did you know that under the terms of the new Patriot Act prosecutors will be
able to seek the death penalty in cases where "defendants gave financial
support to umbrella organizations without realizing that some of its
adherents might eventually commit violence"? (NY Times; editorial 10-30-05)
So, if someone unknowingly gave money to a charity that was connected to a
terrorist group, he could be executed. ... Or, that on June 29, President
Bush put "a broad swath of the FBI" under his direct control by creating the
National Security Service (aka; the "New SS")? This is the first time we've
had a "secret police" in our 200 year history. It will be run exclusively by
the president and beyond the range of congressional oversight.

http://corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12757
Meet the New Interrogators: Lockheed Martin
Pratap Chatterjee, CorpWatch

Dozens of people converged this summer in the high desert town of El Paso,
Texas, en route to spending six months in Iraqi prisons. They were going not
as prisoners, but as their interrogators, walking a legalistic tightrope
stretched across the Geneva Conventions. Just for signing up, they got a
$2,000 check from a company that is rapidly becoming one of the key
employers in the world of intelligence: Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest
military company, based in Bethesda, Maryland.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/nov2005/cia-n04.shtml
The CIA's global gulag
David Walsh, WSWS

Conditions in these jails, referred to as "black sites," are hellish.
Prisoners are, according to the Post, kept in "dark, sometimes underground
cells, they have no recognized rights, and no one outside the CIA is allowed
to talk with or even see them, or to otherwise verify their well-being." The
existence of these prisons has been known to only a handful of officials in
the US, and generally to only the president and a few top intelligence
officers in each host country.

http://www.counterpunch.org/montague11042005.html
Why We Can't Prevent Cancer
Peter Montague, Rachel's Health & Democracy via CounterPunch

Yes, cancer must be prevented because for the most part it can't be cured --
it can only be slashed and burned away at enormous cost, personal, social
and monetary. But saying cancer must be prevented is one thing. Expecting
that it can be prevented within the framework of the modern economy is
another. We can never stop working to prevent cancer -- and precautionary
policies will always make sense no matter what kind of economy we have --
but until we shift to an economy that doesn't require growth, we'll find
ourselves right where we are now -- on an accelerating rat wheel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1635067,00.html
The day George Bush came face to face with Latin America's revolt
Naomi Klein, The Guardian

Thanks to a powerful indigenous movement from Colombia to Bolivia, US
free-trade policies are in tatters.

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Nov05/Reichel1106.htm
Revolt in Paris
Matt Reichel, Dissident Voice

These aren't "riots". This is social rebellion, directed at decades of
French imperial rule, and ultra-capitalist and racist policymaking at home.
After the "decolonization" process finished in Africa (oddly leaving the
former colonies entirely dependent on the Banque de France for their
monetary policymaking and at the whim of French military decision-making),
the colonized were supposed to be offered life in France as a sort of
reparation for the destruction that went along with the imperial era. This,
predictably, has turned out to be nothing more than a bone that the French
have thrown at their dependents to try to keep them quiet. The idea is this:
give them cheap, shitty housing away from the beautiful Metropole of Paris,
give them minimum wage paying work, and hope that they shut up.

http://republic-news.org/archive/125-repub/125_crawford.htm
The empty promise of technology
Dan Crawford, The Republic (Canada)

Two things never fail to amaze me-blind faith and ignorance. These two
elements have single-handedly helped fuel a society that readily chooses
denial over facing reality. Blind faith is most notable in society's
glorification of technology. This has created a consensus that technology
can conquer any obstacle. But for many, when questioned as to how something
works, they either openly confess they have no idea or offer up an
explanation based on imagination. Ignorance can best be seen in the reliance
we have placed in our societal infrastructure without the knowledge of how
it works. The majority of people have no comprehension, not even at the most
basic levels, as to how their needs are met. Yet, without this
infrastructure they themselves would face real challenges in ensuring their
own survival.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gilroy/white-house-in-chaos-_b_10159.html
'White House in Chaos' & Other Utter Horseshit
Tom Gilroy, Huffington Post

They don't measure success and failure they way you and I do, by analyzing
public benefit or desire, or even legality, or ethics. They measure success
by how much more money they feast on from the public trough. And by that
measure, they hogs are literally drowning in shit. So while you fold your
arms in the triumphant reassurance that Scooter's indictment and the GOP's
plummeting ratings reveal the world to be what you've always had faith it
was, think again. The pendulum you always talk about is not swinging back.
The Truth has not come out. What has happened is what you've known all along
has merely been reiterated. There is no new information, and so there will
be no new consequences. And while you smirk and feel validated they'll go
right along gobbling up more and more, laughing at you between belches.

http://civillibertarian.blogspot.com/2005/11/el-pas-de-las-pesadillas.html
Sweet Dreams for America's Ruling Elite and their Sycophantic Loyalists
Jason Miller, Thomas Paine's Corner

Billy Joel was on to something when he sang "Only the Good Die Young." Here
in America, our government does not jail its dissidents; it launches
programs like COINTELPRO to pursue them (with reckless disregard for the
law), and to covertly engineer their assassinations. Fred Hampton, Martin
Luther King, the Kennedy brothers, and Malcolm X are but a few of "the Good"
who dared to challenge the wealthy US ruling elite's malevolent domination
over the poor, minorities and working class. In the "land of the free", your
right to dissent (and to live) ends when you begin posing a serious threat
to those who truly wield the power.

*****
NewsWire

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn11052005.html
Guardian Fabricates Chomsky Quotes in Bid to Smear World's Number One
Intellectual

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/ny-wobadr094492447oct31,0,5590357,print.story?coll=ny-worldnews-headlines
Writing political satire gets you 3 years of hell at Guantanamo

US-backed Arab TV network to be investigated

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/big-brother-to-vet-your-messages/2005/11/04/1130823397657.html
Big Brother to vet your messages

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/2566
Major News Outlets Neglect to Name Secret Detention Facilities

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2715
The Consequences of Covering Up: Washington Post withholds info on secret
prisons at government request

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9939709/
The Growing Police State: FBI mines records of ordinary Americans

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-topless5nov05,0,5014123.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Topless women protesters threatened with arrest and being charged as sex
offenders

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5390726,00.html
Taliban West: Las Vegas Mayor Wants to Sever Thumbs of Graffiti Artists

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13095332.htm
Democrats admit they are dumb, stupid, illiterate, easily duped and utterly
clueless

http://southernstudies.org/facingsouth/2005/10/nc-poll-military-and-public-turning.asp
NC poll: Military and public turning against Bush, Iraq war

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/247264_guardx05.html
Pentagon reneges on war-time promises to pay $15,000 bonuses to re-enlisting
Guardsmen

http://www.prisonplanet.tv/articles/november2005/031105openlyadmits.htm
State terrorist mastermind Donald Rumsfeld openly admits torturing kidnap
victims in Guantanamo

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/110405Z.shtml
Source of Forged Niger-Iraq Documents Identified

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/06/news/rico.php
Anger grows in Puerto Rico over FBI assassination of Filiberto Ojeda Ríos

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17153639-23109,00.html
Bush visit sparks riot

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_mike_whi_051105_panicky_bush_slinks_.htm
Panicky Bush slinks away from Chavez

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5327034-102275,00.html
Rioters shatter Bush's hopes of forging free trade coup

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/nov2005/fran-n05.shtml
Eyewitness to Paris riots charges police with deliberate provocation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501515.html
Rage of French Youth Is a Fight for Recognition

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/nov2005/fran-n04.shtml
France: widening anti-police riots provoke government crisis

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/051105/1/3w7xz.html
Nearly 900 vehicles torched as French rioting rages on; worst unrest since
1968 revolt

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-me-frog4nov04,0,6374398,full.story?coll=la-story-footer
Habitats May Shrink by Leaps, Bounds: Officials want to reduce sanctuaries
for frogs and other species by 150 million acres

How Climate Change is Destroying the World's Most Spectacular Landscapes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051104/sc_afp/chinaenvironmentagriculture_051104042405
Expanding desert could cover China's breadbasket with sand

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051105/PLASTIC05/TPScience/
Is plastic killing us?

Worried parents turning to organic food

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/medical_errors.html
We're #1!: U.S. Health Care Most Expensive & Most Error Prone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,3605,1627424,00.html
Fuel's paradise? Power source that turns physics on its head

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/110405_world_stories.shtml
Are we heading for a new winter of discontent?

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=16332578&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=-legalise-heroin--lemmy-tells-ams-name_page.html
Motorhead's Lemmy: 'Legalise heroin'

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

To help support Alternative Press Review you can make donations online at
the APR website (www.altpr.org), or send donations by mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245
Arlington, VA 22206