[APR-news] March 1, 2006

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 10:44:06 PST 2006

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org - March 1, 2006

******
Articles of interest

http://buzzflash.com/farrell/06/02/far06004.html
When Big Brother Gets Under Your Skin
Maureen Farrell, Buzzflash

On Feb. 12, the Financial Times reported on CityWatcher.com, a
Cincinnati-based company implanted RFID (Radio Frequency ID) silicon chips
into two of its employees. The company defended the practice, assuring that
the procedure was not meant to track employees or infringe on their rights,
but anti-RFID activists took exception. "It worries us that a government
contractor that specializes in surveillance projects would be the first to
publicly incorporate this technology in the workplace," Liz McIntyre said in
a press release, triggering "irate e-mails" to CityWatcher.com's Web site.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_patricia_060227_one_nation_under_psy.htm
One Nation Under Psy-Ops
Patricia Goldsmith, OpEd News

I can even see a beneficial side-effect of losing the vote: when you don't
have to worry about winning, because you know the game is rigged, you might
actually start to think about what your true political ideals are. You might
find that the majority of people agree on most things, including agreement
on what's most important at this time, namely, our global climate crisis. I
realize, now, that even when our votes were counted fairly, our choices were
manipulated into a range of choices so narrow as to constitute an a priori
defeat, and that's one of the reasons we are where we are today. We have to
dig deeper.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20060226180016980
In the Shadow of the Minutemen
Zach Morris, ARA via Infoshop News

Their founders and spokesmen have appeared on CNN's Lou Dobbs, Fox News'
Hannity & Colmes and chapters have popped up from Bisbee, Arizona to Fort
Lee, New Jersey, but what few know about the anti-immigrant, vigilante
Minuteman Project is their connection to violent white power groups.

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/mickeyz02262006/
U.S. Racism and Fear: Nothing New
Mickey Z, Press Action

The recent uproar over the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Dubai Ports World
demonstrates not only a woeful lack of understanding on how U.S. ports work;
it also exposes anti-Arab racism across the spectrum. Even if one accepts
the presupposition that Islamic terrorists represent the most serious threat
to world peace, it remains racist to assume guilt based on ethnicity.
Racist...but nothing new.

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article12083.htm
Defeat is victory. Death is life
Robert Fisk, The Independent

Everyone in the Middle East rewrites history, but never before have we had a
US administration so wilfully, dishonestly and ruthlessly reinterpreting
tragedy as success, defeat as victory, death as life - helped, I have to
add, by the compliant American press. I'm reminded not so much of Vietnam as
of the British and French commanders of the First World War who repeatedly
lied about military victory over the Kaiser as they pushed hundreds of
thousands of their men through the butchers' shops of the Somme, Verdun and
Gallipoli. The only difference now is that we are pushing hundreds of
thousands of Arabs though the butchers' shops - and don't even care.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/022706J.shtml
Human Rights Hypocrisy
Marjorie Cohn, Truthout

Bolton stated last month, "Membership on the Commission by some of the
world's most notorious human rights abusers mocks the legitimacy of the
Commission and the United Nations itself." But Bolton was not referring to
the United States, which invaded Iraq in violation of the UN Charter, killed
thousands of innocent Iraqis, and tortured and abused prisoners in Iraq,
Afghanistan and Guantánamo Bay.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=2006loot_the_rich
Loot the Rich: Economic Civil Disobedience
John Asimakopoulos, Infoshop News

[W]e need a new form of violent direct economic civil disobedience capable
of exacting significant financial blows to Capitalism. Direct action must be
at an increased level of actual and threatened use of violence to increase
the effectiveness of achieving working class goals. However, most mainstream
academics, activists, and labor leaders oppose militant direct action that
would seriously hurt, cripple, or even bankrupt corporations. It is as if
labor has become a parasitic organism that can only live off of
corporations.

http://chris-floyd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=507&Itemid=1
The Pentagon Archipelago
Chris Floyd, Empire Burlesque

When I read the passage below from Moazzam Begg's account of his years in
Bush's Terror War prisons, I had a strange feeling of dislocation: it was as
if 30 years had suddenly fallen away and I was back in high school, reading
Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago in stunned disbelief at the hideous cruelty
inflicted on the prisoners -- deliberately, as a carefully calculated
instrument of state policy. And all of it done in the name of national
security, of course, to protect the nation against "terrorists" and
"traitors."

http://civillibertarian.blogspot.com/2006/02/miscreants-murderers-and-malefactors.html
Miscreants, Murderers, and Malefactors: Imperial Conquest, Torture, and a
Little Matter of Genocide
Jason Miller, Thomas Paine's Corner

Funneling outrageous percentages of our precious resources into the coffers
of the bloated and malevolent military industrial complex, they carried out
murderous agendas through direct military intervention, covert CIA
operations, and proxies like the Shah of Iran. Sadly, under the last 7-8
presidencies, Democrat and Republican alike, the United States government
has evolved into the most powerful terrorist organization on the planet.

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2006/02/28/we-are-all-killers/
We Are All Killers Until We Stop Flying
George Monbiot, monbiot.com

At last the battlelines have been drawn, and the first major fight over
climate change is about to begin. All over the country, a coalition of
homeowners and anarchists, NIMBYs and internationalists is mustering to
fight the greatest future cause of global warming: the growth of aviation

******
NewsWire

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0222_060222_wiretapping.html
Rise of the Machines: Surveillance software gets smart

How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track your Every Move with
Radio Frequency Identification

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060228_241578.htm
Big Brother is reading your blog

http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/1725010.php
Rodney Coronado Indicted for Making Speech

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=9c2d6a5e75201d7e3936ddc65cdd56a9
10-Year U.S. Strategic Plan For Detention Camps Revives Proposals From
Oliver North

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/concentration.html
Concentration camps in America: Are they for you?

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-wilner26feb26,0,1383538.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
American gulag: Torture, force-feeding and darkness at noon -- this is
Guantanamo

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0609,hentoff,72320,6.html
The CIA's "black sites"

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/february2006/260206mosquebombing.htm
Former CIA Analyst: Western Intelligence May Be Behind Mosque Bombing

http://democracyrising.us/content/view/426/151/
Troops reject Bush: Nearly Three-Quarters of US Troops in Iraq Say End the
Occupation Within a Year

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/88CA1E00-EB27-403C-B104-6EA248195E3C.htm
Israel planning 'apartheid' roads

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060227/wl_nm/mideast_palestinians_dc
Palestinians face financial collapse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1718547,00.html
Marines, students rebel against Philippines' Arroyo

http://upsidedownworld.org/main/content/view/205/1/
Private Rivers: Will Transnational Water Companies Swallow El Salvador's
Water Supply?

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article348196.ece
Across the world, they are coming: the water wars

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1719608,00.html
Climate scientists issue dire warning: Earth's temperature could rise to
levels far higher than previously predicted

Acid seas kill off coral reefs

http://www.grain.org/nfg/?id=372
Global poultry industry is root of bird flu crisis

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-sci-staph26feb26,0,741823.story
Infection Is Growing in Scope, Resistance: Virulent staph germ once largely
confined to hospitals is emerging in jails, gyms and schools

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/2864
EPA sued over pesticide human testing rule

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/business/story.html?id=a271ed7f-d512-4a26-9b32-226ba7bfb1ea&k=38371&p=2
Opposition to drilling elevated to an art form

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1140854437306230.xml?oregonian?fng&coll=7
Oil expert: Output downhill from here

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0227/p01s04-usec.html
Losing ground: From 2001 to 2004, median income fell 8 percent for
householders under 35

http://www.commondreams.org/news2006/0224-02.htm
American Families Pile Up Debt From 2001 to 2004

http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/2513/
Lies, Damn Lies and Poverty Statistics: How an archaic measurement keeps
millions of poor Americans from being counted

Incomes Fall, Hunger Worsens as Bush Says 'We're Doing Fine'

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/2879
Screwing the Poor: Poor Pay Biggest Share of State, Local Taxes

http://www.safehaven.com/article-4689.htm
Ominous warnings and dire predictions of world's financial experts

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1718128,00.html
Suicide bomb film set to shake Oscars

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

To help support Alternative Press Review you can make donations online at
the APR website (www.altpr.org), or send donations by mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245
Arlington, VA 22206