[APR-news] May 15-31, 2006

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Wed May 31 10:05:14 PDT 2006

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org - May 15-31, 2006
"Magazine of the Year" -  2005 Press Action Award

http://www.infoshopdirect.com/alternativepressreview/
Check out our Bush/Orwell t-shirt!

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=649&mode=nocomments&order=0&thold=0
One, Two, Three Many Olympias
By Ron Jacobs

Too many of us have given up on stopping the machine from working at all. If
there was ever a better time to awake from our slumber, that time is now.
The litany of death, repression, and exploitation of every form imaginable
has grown too long. As others have started to hint at, the time for mere
protest is over.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=644&mode=nocomments&order=0&thold=0
>From Galileo to Churchill
By Rosemarie Jackowski

Every word, sentence, and punctuation mark that Churchill has ever used is
up for scrutiny. That might be a good thing. Any fair examination of the
works of Churchill will necessitate an equally grueling examination of the
history of USA actions and policies from 1492 to the present day. A thorough
examination of the arguments that Churchill puts forward could enlighten
many. So far, it seems that the main thrust of his writings is far more
accurate than the sanitized view of history which is normally taught in most
schools.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=646&mode=nocomments&order=0&thold=0
Does property destruction equal eco-terrorism?
By Mickey Z.

Most notable is this declaration: "There's no philosophical difference
between approving the torching of a large new home on Camano Island or the
targeting of the tallest towers in Manhattan." For the sake of argument,
let's assume the Seattle Post-Intelligencer is correct in all of the above
statements. What then, is the "philosophical difference" between the
targeting of the tallest towers in Manhattan and the dropping of white
phosphorous on babies in Iraq and why isn't the corporate media setting
aside space to ponder that question?

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=647&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
The Existing Question: Does Israel Have a Right to Exist?
By Remi Kanazi

It is particularly absurd for Israel and the West to call upon the
Palestinian government to recognize Israel when Israel refuses to recognize
the Palestinian people.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=645&mode=nocomments&order=0&thold=0
World Premiere of Documentary "With Blood"
by Sonia Nettnin

Interviews with doctors reveal that since September 2000, 80 per cent of
peoples' wounds are in the cardio-thoracic areas -- heart, chest and head --
which means Israeli forces shoot to kill.

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=648&mode=nocomments&order=0&thold=0
The Four Fundamentalisms and the Threat to Sustainable Democracy
by Robert Jensen

The most important words anyone said to me in the weeks immediately after
September 11, 2001, came from my friend James Koplin. While acknowledging
the significance of that day, he said, simply: "I was in a profound state of
grief about the world before 9/11, and nothing that happened on that day has
significantly changed what the world looks like to me."

******
Other articles of interest

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2006/05/19/wilson
The Footnote Police vs. Ward Churchill
John K. Wilson, Inside Higher Ed

By stretching the meaning of "research misconduct" far beyond its true
definition, and by supporting the suspension and even dismissal of a tenured
professor for his use of footnotes, the Colorado committee is opening the
door to a vast new right-wing witch hunt on college campuses that
conservatives could easily exploit across the country. If you don't like a
professor's politics, simply file a complaint of "research misconduct."
According to the Colorado committee, if you can find a factual error made by
the professor with a footnote that fails to prove the contention, that
scholar is guilty of "research misconduct" and can be suspended or fired.

http://www.counterpunch.org/churchill05162006.html
Punishing Free Speech: A Travesty of an "Investigation"
Ward Churchill, CounterPunch

I have received the report of the Investigative Committee of the University
of Colorado and consider it a travesty. This "investigation" has all along
been a pretext to punish me for engaging constitutionally-protected speech
and, more generally, to discredit the sorts of alternative historical
perspective I represent.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article621899.ece
Noam Chomsky: Why it's over for America

An inability to protect its citizens. The belief that it is above the law. A
lack of democracy. Three defining characteristics of the 'failed state'. And
that, says Noam Chomsky, is exactly what the US is becoming. In an exclusive
extract from his devastating new book, America's leading thinker explains
how his country lost its way.

http://consortiumnews.com/2006/051106.html
This Time, It Really Is Orwellian
Robert Parry, Consortium News

Given George W. Bush's history of outright lying, especially on national
security matters, it may seem silly to dissect his words about the new
disclosure that his administration has collected phone records of some 200
million Americans.

http://civillibertarian.blogspot.com/2006/05/american-capitalism-and-moral-poverty.html
American Capitalism and The Moral Poverty of Nations
Jason Miller

Rolling through virtually any reasonably populous city or town in America,
one encounters a surreal landscape blighted by grotesque temples to America's
twin gods of Capitalism and Consumerism. As an increasing number of
individual proprietors are driven to extinction, Wal-Mart, McDonald's, and
hundreds more leviathan corporations continue their rapid construction of
more houses of worship to serve their zealous congregation. Once inside,
many Americans gleefully sacrifice an abundance of their greenbacks at
altars attended by Consumerism's unwitting acolytes.

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/1,70980-0.html
What If They Gave a War...?
Tony Long, Wired

The real voices of dissent and engagement are found on the internet these
days, but the internet is simply too diffuse to effectively galvanize a
revolution. And we desperately need a revolution.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/20/laziness-working-good_cz_mm_06work_0523lazy.html
Sneak Out of Work Right Now
Michael Maiello, Forbes Magazine

Beyond tactics, it's crucial to never feel guilty about being lazy. It's
that uneasy, evil feeling that gets a person out of bed before 10 a.m., and
it's fear and conditioning that makes taking a phony sick day unthinkable.
Get over it. Steal back some of your own time.

http://ranprieur.com/essays/dropout.html
How to Drop Out
Ran Prieur, ranprieur.com

The main thing I was doing during those years was de-institutionalizing
myself, learning to navigate the hours of the day and the thoughts in my
head with no teacher or boss telling me what to do.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/05/26/the_suburban_fantasy.php
The Suburban Fantasy
James Howard Kunstler, TomPaine.com

Trouble with oil will spell huge problems with how we grow our food, how we
conduct trade, how we move around and how we inhabit the terrain of North
America. These systems are going to wobble and eventually fail unless some
effort is made to reform their scale and their procedures.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/OriginalArticles/EnergyGeopolitics2006.html
Energy Geopolitics 2006
Richard Heinberg, MuseLetter (via Life After the Oil Crash)

Welcome to the twenty-first century. And welcome to a world for which none
of us is prepared. Take a good look around: things are changing quickly
everywhere, and the omens are . . . well, ominous.

http://www.counterbias.com/652.html
>From Zoot Suits to Border Walls: Scapegoating Mexicans is an American
Tradition
Mickey Z, CounterBias.com

Imagine a time when Mexicans bore the brunt of patriotic (sic) fervor:
physically threatened, targeted by legislation, an easy scapegoat for
working class frustration. Surely I'm talking about 2006 AmeriKKKa, right?
You know.the fascist police state ruled by Nazi Dubya and his cadre of brown
shirts who cynically exploit good vs. evil rhetoric in the name of
furthering their global agenda. Well.not so fast. Sorry to disappoint the
lesser-evil crowd but this time, I was referring to events that climaxed 63
years ago this week.during the reign of liberal (sic) hero, Franklin Delano
Roosevelt who cynically exploited good vs. evil rhetoric in the name of
furthering his global agenda.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=2006sex_workers
"Turning a Corner:" Changing Attitudes, Confronting Realities of
Prostitution
Kari Lydersen, Infoshop News

Advocacy efforts in Chicago and around the country have tried to raise
awareness and change laws and attitudes on a number of levels in regards to
prostitution and other sex work. A major focus is often addressing the
inequity in how sex workers - primarily women - are treated by law
enforcement, the general public and the economics of the industry itself.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm
What Happened To Dynamic Range?
Bob Speer, CD Mastering

What happened to dynamic range?  That's a question that should be asked of
record labels, producers, artists, and last but not least, recording and
mastering engineers.  The question needs to be asked because we're the ones
responsible for what's happened to our music.  The music we listen to today
is nothing more than noise with a beat.  It's not because it isn't good
music.  It's because it lacks dynamic range.  When music lacks dynamic
range, it lacks punch, emotion, and clarity.

******
NewsWire

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article621189.ece
Bush 'planted fake news stories on American TV'

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/05/fbi_acknowledge.html
FBI Acknowledges: Journalists' Phone Records are Fair Game

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/05/23/oregon
Standing Up to Bill O'Reilly

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/053006R.shtml
Howard Kurtz: Unreliable Source

http://www.mediachannel.org/affalert417.shtml
>From Hobbes to your cell: Hail the surveillance state

http://www.alternet.org/rights/36553/
Top 10 signs of a US police state

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/WTBFP.php
Where's the Bird Flu Pandemic?

http://www.physorg.com/news66197469.html
Flying robot attack 'unstoppable'

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/05/tots_used_as_hu.html
Recruiting pre-schoolers as guinea pigs

http://interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1276
Pro-lifers lure teens to fake abortion clinics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html
Smoking pot does not lead to lung cancer

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article620704.ece
The children at a notorious US prison camp

http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_822.shtml
US covert operations underway in Somalia

http://www.guerrillanews.com/articles/2301/Some_Inconvenient_Truths_About_Al_Gore
Some inconvenient truths about Al Gore: war criminal, staunch friend of Big
Oil, fake environmentalist

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/3154
Barely Regulated, E-waste Piles Up in U.S., Abroad

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060525.GASPRICES25/TPStory/National
Analysts say storm season will blow in record oil prices

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Science/story?id=1986862&page=1
Category 6 hurricanes? Evidence mounts hurricanes have sharply worsened over
the past 30 years

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/36533/story.htm
New Orleans Seen Top US Target for '06 Hurricanes

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=84669&category=Local
Experts warn of New England hurricane

Where have all the icebergs gone?

Global warming could be worse than predicted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060522151248.htm
Feedback Loops In Global Climate Change Point To A Very Hot 21st Century

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/26/AR2006052600900.html
News Flash: We're running out of oil. Get used to it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/3911757.html
Dixie Chicks: a profile in courage

******
http://www.infoshopdirect.com/alternativepressreview/
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

You can also support Alternative Press Review by making a donation online at
http://www.infoshopdirect.com/alternativepressreview/ or send donations by
mail to:

Alternative Press Review
PO Box 6245