[APR-news] February 6, 2007

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 08:44:47 PST 2007

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org - February 6, 2007

War means blind obedience, unthinking stupidity, brutish callousness, wanton
destruction, and irresponsible murder. - Alexander Berkman

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=730
Forgotten February (A brief peek at America's unrestrained brutality)
By Mickey Z.

Edgar L. Jones, a former war correspondent in the Pacific, wrote in the
Atlantic Monthly: "What kind of war do civilians suppose we fought anyway?
We shot prisoners in cold blood, wiped out hospitals, strafed lifeboats,
killed or mistreated enemy civilians, finished off the enemy wounded, tossed
the dying into a hole with the dead, and in the Pacific boiled flesh off
enemy skulls to make table ornaments for sweethearts, or carved their bones
into letter openers."

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=729
The Ubiquitous Sprawls of America
By David Rovics

All of society begins to resemble a mass of cancer cells. Some cities grow
wildly in every direction, eating up all land and community around them,
spewing toxins from coal-fired power plants and the exhaust pipes of SUVs.
Other cities die, leaving behind their toxic shells. The people move further
and further away, driving ever more, working ever more, losing their time,
their physical and mental health.

******
Other articles of interest

http://jameshowardkunstler.typepad.com/clusterfuck_nation/2007/02/the_agenda_rest.html
The Agenda Restated
Jim Kunstler, Clusterfuck Nation

Expand your view beyond the question of how we will run all the cars by
means other than gasoline. This obsession with keeping the cars running at
all costs could really prove fatal. It is especially unhelpful that so many
self-proclaimed "greens" and political "progressives" are hung up on this
monomaniacal theme. Get this: the cars are not part of the solution (whether
they run on fossil fuels, vodka, used frymaxT oil, or cow shit). They are at
the heart of the problem. And trying to salvage the entire Happy Motoring
system by shifting it from gasoline to other fuels will only make things
much worse. The bottom line of this is: start thinking beyond the car. We
have to make other arrangements for virtually all the common activities of
daily life.

http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/articles/851
Five Axioms of Sustainability
Richard Heinberg, Global Public Media

I have named this axiom for Joseph Tainter, author of the classic study, The
Collapse of Complex Societies, which demonstrates that collapse is a
frequent if not universal fate of complex societies, and argues that
collapse is directly related to declining returns on efforts to support
growing levels of societal complexity with energy harvested from the
environment. Jared Diamond's book Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or
Succeed similarly makes the argument that collapse is the common destiny of
societies that ignore resource constraints.

http://www.energybulletin.net/25622.html
Global warming myths and lies
PeakEngineer, Energy Bulletin

As the fervor over global warming continues to permeate the discussions of
politicians and the media alike, I've noticed a stock set of anecdotal
arguments from those who choose to remain unconvinced of anthropogenic
global warming. A lot of their arguments remind me of the arguments of those
who believe NASA faked the moon landings: "Well, in their pictures you don't
see the stars, so it must have been done in a studio." Um, have you ever
tried taking a picture of the night sky? How many stars do you see?

http://cryptogon.com/?p=320
Zbigniew Brzezinski Before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Cryptogon

It concerns me that Brzezinski is being flogged around the Internet as some
sort of good guy.. Brzezinski's New World Order involves the heavy use of
smoke and mirrors to keep the "vassals" in line. Brute force isn't a smart
way to go about it. He's more about buying off elites in target states,
selective use of black ops and building broad coalitions with other powerful
criminals in order to dominate. Brzezinski's model is heavy on back channel
manipulation, secret deals and the realization hegemony is going to happen
with the U.S., or without the U.S. How do you go about it? This is where the
split has obviously occurred. Cheney, et al. want to take it all for
themselves by force. It's not any more complicated than that. Brzezinski's
approach, and what we can think of as the approach of the "mainstream"
elite, is to gather together and make a list of countries and resources that
need to be exploited, and work out a multilateral program to accomplish
those goals. (Watch the God Father movies!)

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/protest02042007/
No Walk in the Park
Press Action

The U.S. government, headlined by its imperial actions in Iraq and
Afghanistan, is leading the plundering of the planet. Through its unbridled
economic and military policies, all species, not just humans, are threatened
by the U.S. juggernaut. And all that these so-called friends of the antiwar
movement offer us is suggestions to petition our elected leaders to vote for
a particular bill or platitudes about the evil George W. Bush.

http://www.alternet.org/stories/47669/
Annalee Newitz, AlterNet

What this GoDaddy disaster makes clear is that instant censorship is
possible, with no court oversight, at almost any point in the data chain.
And for users who aren't as savvy or well-connected as Vaskovich, getting
shut down by GoDaddy would be essentially a death sentence for speech.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2006830,00.html
A 9/11 conspiracy virus is sweeping the world, but it has no basis in fact
George Monbiot, The Guardian

Loose Change is a sharp, slick film with an authoritative voiceover, but it
drowns the truth in an ocean of nonsense.

******
NewsWire

http://electroniciraq.net/news/2887.shtml
Iraqi Journalists Seen as Enemies of Government

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/04/ncrime04.xml
Ministers plan 'Big Brother' police powers

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8305
US Army sued for spying on blogs

http://www.antiwar.com/glantz/?articleid=10474
US officer who refused to become a state terrorist and war criminal goes on
trial

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/04/america/web.0204contract.php
US contractors becoming fourth branch of government

http://www.consumersforpeace.org/news_former_generals_involved_war.html
Mass Murdering Profiteers: Former generals who want US to stay in Iraq
deeply involved in the war industry

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/february2007/040207cell.htm
Top secret army cell recruiting Iraqi insurgent double agents

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14333
Privatized prisons for immigrants

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=ROS20070205&articleId=4688
New Fort Detrick BioDefense Laboratory May Reflect a Bush Germ War Effort

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/02/junger200702?printable=true&currentPage=all
Could a bunch of Nigerian militants in speedboats bring about a U.S.
recession?

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070201_gw_life.html
Earth will survive global warming but will we?

The hellish vision of life on a hotter planet

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

Please consider making a donation through PayPal at the APR website
(www.altpr.org). You can also make a donation with your credit card at:
http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P3QMMMHOVLGZ2F.

Donations by mail can be sent to:

Alternative Press Review