[APR-news] Weekend Edition (January 26-28, 2007)

AlternativePressReview alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Sun Jan 28 06:23:17 PST 2007

Alternative Press Review - Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org - Weekend Edition (January 26-28, 2007)

Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your
own waste. -- Chief Seattle leader of the Duwanish tribe in Washington
Territory in an 1854 letter to U.S. President Franklin Pierce to mark
transfer of ancestral Indian lands to the United States

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=721
The Next Battle of the Social War: Nine Black Panthers and State Repression
by Dave Strano

The U.S. government would not have reopened this case if it did not intend
on sending a message to all those who resist. As we've seen with Operation
Backfire, the arrests in Auburn, California, FBI harassment of members of
the Great Plains Anarchist Network in 2004, and in many operations in the
last ten years, the government is trying to send a clear message. "Don't
dare stand up."

http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=722
Jonesing for a Hit of Man Fuel: Of Pigskin Pushers, Football (Fan)atics, and
Blissful Blindness
By Jason Miller

Paul Allen is a case in point. As owner of the Seattle Seahawks, he is on
the public dole with the rest of the NFL "billionaires' club". In the year
2000 Allen insisted that the state of Washington pony up 75% of the $425
million "necessary" to build a new stadium for his team. His net worth at
that time? $40 billion. Despite his nearly unlimited financial means, the
state caved to Allen's demands for fear that he would make good on his
threats to move the Seahawks.

******
Other articles of interest

http://thetyee.ca/Books/2007/01/26/MarkLeier/
The Case for Anarchy
Charles Demers, TheTyee.ca

No question, the word anarchy freaks people. Yet anarchy -- rule by no
one -- has always struck me as the same as democracy carried to its logical
and reasonable conclusions. Of course those who rule -- bosses and
politicians, capital and the state -- cannot imagine that people could rule
themselves, for to admit that people can live without authority and rulers
pulls out the whole underpinnings of their ideology. Once you admit that
people can -- and do, today, in many spheres of their lives -- run things
easier, better and more fairly than the corporation and the government can,
there's no justification for the boss and the premier. I think most of us
realize and understand that, in our guts, but schools, culture, the police,
all the authoritarian apparatuses, tell us we need bosses, we need to be
controlled "for our own good." It's not for our own good -- it's for the
good of the boss, plain and simple.

http://www.energybulletin.net/25202.html
Revolution arising from the Earth, Part I
William Kotke, Energy Bulletin

As the industrial system spins toward exhaustion, seeds of change are
sprouting at the base. The people at the base are not revolting in order to
take the power that the elite have but are revolting to take power over
their own lives.

http://www.energybulletin.net/25204.html
Revolution arising from the Earth, Part II: The Earth speaks
William Kotke, Energy Bulletin

Our success was adaptation to the life of the earth. We also had a culture
that respected the earth and living things. The proposition is simple: We
are alive, we live because of the other living things which feed us, we are
obligated to respect and encourage those other living things so that we too
can live. Though this simple logic escapes civilization, it is obvious that
we must begin to fashion a culture that has these values at the center, if
our species is to survive.

http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/2007/01/yes-i-want-united-states-to-lose.html
Yes, I Want the United States to Lose
Arthur Silber, Once Upon a Time...

We have committed a monstrous, unforgivable war crime, indeed a countless
number of war crimes. If you care at all about the sanctity of an individual
human life, and if you still give a damn, that should matter to you. Nothing
in the world is more important. So, yes, in the sense I have described, I
want us to lose.

http://www.chris-floyd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1009&Itemid=135
Death and Dishonor: Bush's New Assassination Order
Chris Floyd, Empire Burlesque

If Iran is not arming their bloodsworn enemies, the Sunni insurgents, and if
any Shiite group they are assisting is an integral part of the "sovereign"
Iraqi government backed by the Bush Administration, then what on earth can
be the purpose of a direct presidential order to the troops to kill Iranians
in Iraq? The answer is simple: the purpose of the order is to provoke Iran
into some action that can be trumpeted as a casus belli for the Bush
Faction's long-planned war against Iran. What Bush has done with this order
is to turn the American military into his own private death squad.

http://www.counterpunch.org/scahill01252007.html
Our Mercenaries in Iraq: Blackwater, Inc. and the Privatization of the Bush
War Machine
Jeremy Scahill, CounterPunch

Bush made no mention of the downing of the helicopter during his State of
the Union speech. But he did address the very issue that has made the war's
privatization a linchpin of his Iraq policy - the need for more troops. The
president called on Congress to authorize an increase of about 92,000
active-duty troops over the next five years. He then slipped in a mention of
a major initiative that would represent a significant development in the
U.S. disaster response/reconstruction/war machine: a Civilian Reserve Corps.

http://www.countercurrents.org/us-cox240107.htm
Gangsters For Capitalism
Clinton L. Cox, CounterCurrents

General Butler was the most decorated U.S. military officer of his day. His
experiences helping the United States Government subvert democracy
throughout the world so that multinational corporations could steal the land
and resources of other nations, prompted him to write a short but
politically devastating book, War is a Racket, in 1934. The use of military,
economic and political power to control weaker nations is a thread that runs
throughout the history of the United States from the past to the present -
though most Americans either deny that fact or are ignorant of it.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20070126&articleId=4599
"Surge" or "Involuntary" Military Conscription: The Neo-Conservative
Architects of Military Escalation
Michel Chossudovsky, Global Research

The "Green Zone" is threatened. The more than 20,000 troops are, according
to the White House, to be deployed in Baghdad, with a view to securing the
"Green Zone" enclave. Despite these developments, the decision to
substantially increase US forces in Iraq is not a makeshift initiative,
which emerged in response to the evolving crisis in Iraq. It is part of a
carefully formulated NeoCon agenda to increase the size of US forces and
reinstate "involuntary" forms of military conscription. Some analysts have
suggested that the "surge" is intended in relation to a planned war on Iran.

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_23826.shtml
Depleted Uranium Poison Explosions Target US Citizens
Cathy Garger, Axis of Logic

Like most people over 21, you may already know that the United States used
to "test" nuclear bombs in the NV and NM deserts, right out in the open air.
If asked, most people would probably be able to tell us that yes indeed,
both above ground and below ground "nuclear testing" in the United States
ended years ago. Yet, even though 1992 saw its last nuke bomb "test" inside
the United States, how many know that our government is still firing
radioactive explosives into our atmosphere? This fact appears to be one of
Uncle Sam's "dirtiest" not-so-little, well-kept secrets.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/46925/
Questionable Conviction of Connecticut Teacher in Pop-up Porn Case
Lindsay Beyerstein, AlterNet

Julie Amero, a 40-year-old substitute teacher from Connecticut is facing up
to 40 years in prison for exposing her seventh grade class to a cascade of
pornographic imagery. Amero maintains that she is a victim of a malicious
software infestation that caused her computer to spawn porn uncontrollably.
Adware, spyware and other infectious software are known hazards to security
and privacy -- and when lax cybersecurity meets anti-porn hysteria, a
mailware infection can even land you in jail.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson
Outrageous Injustice
Wright Thompson, ESPN

Genarlow Wilson, honor student and football star, had consensual sex with a
fellow teenager. What happened to him next was a crime.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article6447.shtml
Taken for a Ride by the Israeli Left
Steven Friedman and Virginia Tilley, Electronic Intifada

[I]t may seem odd that many people working hard for a stable peace in
Israel-Palestine find Mr. Avnery so immensely irritating. The reason stems
from his moral contradictions, all too common to liberal Zionism: that is,
while taking an unflinching moral stand against racist abuses of
Palestinians, he somehow drops the same principles in assuming that Israel
itself has a right to preserve its "Jewish character" at the expense of
Palestinian rights. For it is all too obvious that sustaining an
"overwhelming" Jewish majority in Israel, essential to preserving its
"Jewish character," requires that Israel sustain a whole cluster of racist
practices, such as giant Walls to keep people from mixing and not allowing
Palestinian exiles to return.

******
NewsWire

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/47269/
CBS refuses to broadcast Iraq footage

U.S. Military Spied on Hundreds of Antiwar Demos

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/4497086.html
Dropping like flies: Resignations of U.S. attorneys raise suspicion of
politically motivated Justice Department purge

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012707Y.shtml
Gonzales Appoints Political Loyalists Into Vacant US Attorneys Slots

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2007/2379
First criminal convictions from Ohio's stolen 2004 election confirm recount
was rigged

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2007/012507.html
Who's helping the terrorists?

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article6442.shtml
Leaked Israeli document gives frightening glimpse of apartheid

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/were-ruining-earth-scientists-warn/2007/01/26/1169788693774.html
Keen grasp of the obvious: Earth is being destroyed

http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/012607EA.shtml
Under Water by 2100? Risk of the Rising Sea

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1997432,00.html
Declining oil reserves will impact hugely on energy prices and the way we
eat and farm

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/features/tm_headline=why-life-after-oil--will-be-better-&method=full&objectid=18540115&siteid=50082-name_page.html
Life after oil will be better

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601170&sid=aqdKjGJi9cHc&refer=home
Bono, Who Preaches Charity, Profits From Buyouts, Tax Breaks

http://www.worldpress.org/Europe/2647.cfm
Tolerance Fades in Denmark as Christiania Free Town Faces New Era

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/us-sitting-on-credit-volcano/2007/01/25/1169594467145.html
US sitting on credit volcano

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/dining/24vega.html
Strict vegan ethics, frosted with hedonism

******
http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=81&page=1
Subscribe to Alternative Press Review magazine

Please consider making a donation through PayPal at the APR website
(www.altpr.org). You can also make a donation with your credit card at:
http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P3QMMMHOVLGZ2F.

Donations by mail can be sent to:

Alternative Press Review