[APR-news] Alternative Press Review Weekly News & Views Roundup

alternativepressreview at comcast.net alternativepressreview at comcast.net
Tue May 11 09:57:04 UTC 2010

http://www.alternativepressreview.org/?q=APRUpdateMay10
Alternative Press Review Weekly News & Views Roundup
(May 10, 2010)

http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/05/the-evil-guys-list-free-journalism-in-...
The Role of Reporters without Borders: “Free Journalism” in the Service of US Foreign Policy
F. William Engdahl, Dissident Voice

After years of trying to hide it, Robert Menard, Paris-based Secretary-General of Reporters Sans Frontieres or RWB, confessed that the RWB budget was primarily funded by “US organizations strictly linked to US foreign policy.”

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/5938/rustbelt_rage/
Rustbelt Rage
Noam Chomsky, In These Times

An acute sense of betrayal comes readily to people who believed they had fulfilled their duty to society in a moral compact with business and government, only to discover they had been instruments of profit and power.

http://antifascist-calling.blogspot.com/2010/05/high-tech-death-from-abo...
High-Tech Death from Above: U.S. Drone Wars Fuel War Crimes
Tom Burghardt, Antifascist Calling

With indiscriminate attacks by armed drones soaring since President Obama was sworn into office, the Pentagon's mad dash to achieve what it describes as "full-spectrum dominance" in this regional "battlespace," has sought to leverage its dominant position as the world leader in robotized forms of state killing and obtain a decisive technological edge over their adversaries.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LE05Ak02.html
OBAMA'S WAR MACHINE
Jack A Smith, Asia Times

There's more war in America's future - a great deal more, judging by the Barack Obama administration's reports, pronouncements and actions in recent months.

http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=65706&s2=06
New Colonialism: Pentagon Carves Africa Into Military Zones
Rick Rozoff, Uruknet

The U.S. is not dragging almost every nation in Africa into its military network because of altruism or concerns for the security of the continent's people. AFRICOM's function is that of every predatory military power: The threat and use of armed violence to gain economic and geopolitical advantages.

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/home/content/92454329.html
Christian ‘doctrine’ fueled dehumanization
Valerie Taliman, Indian Country

“Indian land rights have been characterized in U.S. law as nothing more than a permissive right of occupancy or permission from the whites to occupy their own Indian lands,” Frichner said.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/5/4/exclusivesecret_recording_of_erik_p...
Secret Recording of Erik Prince Reveals Previously Undisclosed Blackwater Ops
Democracy Now!

Investigative journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent Jeremy Scahill obtains a rare audio recording of a recent, private speech delivered by Erik Prince, the owner of Blackwater, to a friendly audience in January. The speech, which Prince attempted to keep from public consumption, provides a stunning glimpse into his views and future plans and reveals details of previously undisclosed activities of Blackwater.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/john-williams-believe-him-or-not/Conte...
John Williams: Believe Him or Not
Chris Thompson, East Bay Express

This Oakland economist believes the government's major economic indicators are lies. Most other economists think he's a crank. But then, most of them also thought the economy was healthy.

http://www.redress.cc/palestine/jcook20100505
Israel’s Stasi watch over imams
Jonathan Cook, Redress

Jonathan Cook reports on a case which revealed that job interviews for the position of imam at mosques in Israel are conducted not by senior clerics but by Israel’s secret police, and that the Israeli government uses spies to report on the political opinions of Muslim clerics and relay gossip about their private lives. Meanwhile, hate-spouting rabbis go unmonitored.

http://www.alternet.org/story/146631/women_have_lots_of_casual_sex_--_ge...
Women Have Lots of Casual Sex -- Get Over It
Josey Vogels, My Messy Bedroom

Think men are the only ones who want to have sex outside a relationship? A refreshing new study proves otherwise.

http://oilprice.com/Environment/Oil-Spills/The-Cover-up-BP-s-Crude-Polit...
The Cover-up: BP's Crude Politics and the Looming Environmental Mega-Disaster
Wayne Madsen, Oilprice.com

Napolitano's actual reasoning for invoking national security was to block media coverage of the immensity of the disaster that is unfolding for the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean and their coastlines.

http://transition-times.com/blog/2010/01/12/six-signs-youve-become-disco...
Six Signs You’ve Become Disconnected from Nature
Margaret Emerson, Transition Times

In the process of all this so-called “progress” we’ve become convinced we are somehow separate from nature. We’ve somehow forgotten that we, too, are animals and that we need a healthy and thriving ecosystem in order to breathe, eat, feel content and safe. We are not exempt from the laws of biology and physics.

http://www.alternet.org/story/146701/bee_catastrophe%3A_1_3_of_colonies_...
Bee Catastrophe: 1/3 of Colonies Died This Winter, Worries Grow About Terminal Decline
Alison Benjamin, Alternet

The honeybee is responsible for pollinating 90 commercial crops worldwide. What do we do if they're gone?

http://www.populist.com/10.9.mcmillen.html
Margot Ford McMillen, Progressive Populist

Here’s the really bad part, for all you that love the idea of gardening and farming as an independent gesture of self-sufficiency: 11,000 of the seed patents are owned by Monsanto. They now have an estimated 85-90% of the seed market in the US.

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/jessica-davies/2010/05/autonom...
Autonomous healthcare in the Zapatista communities
Jessica Davies, Narco News

Zapatista healthcare is completely independent of all government funding and control; they have developed their own autonomous forms of health, democracy and decision-making.