[Etan-key] LH looking for short-term environmental/economic researcher

Charles Scheiner cscheiner at igc.org
Wed Feb 8 09:10:28 PST 2006

Hi, Lynn, Vivek and all,

Thanks for your email.

The Timor-Leste government takes oil-related advice from Norway, the
UN, the World Bank and others, including US government-funded
consultant Gaffney-Cline and oil companies. This is one of La'o
Hamutuk's concerns, of course. We offer alternative views, but they
don't listen very closely. I'm not as sure as Vivek that their
experts and legislators will make the right decisions -- which is why
La'o Hamutuk is doing this independent study.

Lynn's questions about whether Timor-Leste should develop its oil are
valid; they go in the same direction as much of the work that La'o
Hamutuk and I have been doing for the last couple of years. Our
November 2005 LH Bulletin points out the dangers of oil dependence --
see http://www.laohamutuk.org/Bulletin/2005/Nov/bulletinv6n4.html
.  We've written lots more, which you can find on the LH website (see
http://www.laohamutuk.org/Oil/OilIndex.html ).

Gute (from LH) and I wrote a book chapter last year on the
relationship between oil development, ecological debt, and external
debt in Timor-Leste. You can download it from
http://www.oilwatch.org.ec/english/novedades.htm ; it's a big file
because it has many appendices.

The researcher LH is seeking at the moment is to work with us, not
the government. The government has its own set of priorities and
assumptions; we want to provide an independent assessment of the
impact of a particular LNG project. The bigger decision as to whether
or not to exploit Timor-Leste's petroleum is a separate debate.  For
what it's worth, the project we are researching is for natural gas,
and gas is better than oil (but not blameless) when it comes to
climate change -- provided it is burned, not leaked.

In discussing this research project with folks in the U.S., I've
encountered some confusion. The LNG (liquefied natural gas) project
suggested for Timor-Leste is to take natural gas from the ground,
pass it through an undersea gas pipeline, and then pressurize and
supercool it to liquid form so that it can be loaded onto tankers.
The LNG receiving facilities that are currently controversial in the
U.S. and nearby Mexico are the other end of the tanker's voyage,
converting the LNG back to gaseous form. To my knowledge the U.S.
doesn't have any facilities like those planned for TL. Such
facilities are found in LNG-exporting island countries like Trinidad
and Indonesia.

Vivek suggested alternative energy for Timor-Leste: this is important
for the future, less so now. At present, Timor-Leste is developing
its oil and gas resources to export for cash, not for domestic
consumption. Last year, Timor-Leste exported about 24 times as much
petroleum as it imported, a ratio which will increase to 80 by 2009.

A luta continua,
Charlie