[mgj-announce] Notes from MGJ General Meeting, 9/11/02
neil at econjustice.net
Thu Sep 12 01:22:05 EDT 2002
Notes from Mobilization for Global Justice meeting
September 11, 2002, 7:30 - 9:30 pm
I. Moment of Reflection
A. Casey Harrell on Bhopal, Toxics and the World Bank
Casey presented on the tragedy of Bhopal and efforts to get justice. More
info. At www.greenpeaceusa.org/toxics
World Bank now funding a PVC plant in India via the IFC. There is
resistance to this plant groups in India are challenging this project and
other policies of the IMF and World Bank.
B. Jason Tockman, American Lands Alliance
The IMF has a significant impact on forests. ALA did a study which showed
how IMF structural adjustment programs have destroyed forests. See
www.americanlands.org. for the report and more information.
IV. What is the MGJ?
V. Spokes/Working Group Reports
A. Spokescouncil met last week, with the following decisions:
* Yes to Social Forum and People's Assemblies on Sunday, September 29
* We will bring MGJ banner to Rainbow Push march this Friday
* Approved Outreach, Scenario, Medics, and Media Budgets
* Next spokes: Sunday night, 7 pm, Sept 15, 1752 Columbia Rd.
B. Fundraising Working Group
* 2 parties this weekend: everyone come to Joey and Alix's!
* Raising money online raised $500 in past 5 days!
* Spread the email asking for support from Rob to all your friends and
* Need people to sign up for the program to get 10 people to give $10 to
C. Outreach Working Group
* Wheatpasting after this meeting, leaving from Martin's house, 1640 Hobart St.
* We have space at AFSC.
* 30,000 broadsheets are here!
* Will have another phone banking next Monday
* September 24 we want to turn out people for HERE local 25 action
* Teach-in at Georgetown on September 20
* Next meeting, 1640 Hobart, Monday, Sept. 16
* Had a successful NGO Roundtable: 40 groups came!
* Had a good Community Roundtable: 20 groups came
* NV training this Saturday, AFSC, 2211 14th St NW, 11-3 pm
* We need people to help bottomline the welcome center, trainers
* We analyzed our first press conference
* Working on ed boards, op-eds, columnists to write
* Good news: Grant from enviro org, so David Levy will now be FT on media
* We have 16 days to produce beautiful images!
* Building a giant Trojan horse!
* A lot of fun stuff to do!
* We need big pieces of cardboard and large pieces of fabric, and brilliant
water-based latex paints
* Very busy WG we only have 4 people and need help
* Bottomlining food, childcare, and spaces (housing)
* Please volunteer housing! Do it online at globalizethis.org
* We need help, trying to provide help for all the actions
* Medical training, St Al's Church, Sept 20, 5-9 pm, Sept 21, 10a-7p, Sept
* Please send stuff to Tom for updates. steelgame at yahoo.com
* People's Summit will be Sunday, Sept 22 from 12-5 at UDC.
* Proposals can be sent in for workshops.
* Need a link on the website
* March and rally starts at 12noon
* 2 pm March kick-off; march ends at 4 pm
* Evening concert at ellipse 4 pm
* 4:30 pm Quarantine actions!
* Calling on affinity groups to take on different parts of the quarantine
* May organize quarantine around each demand
* Final scenario will likely be determined at the action spokescouncil the
evening before the action
* law collective here in DC works with the National Lawyers Guild in DC. We
have tips for affinity group legal support. We have a draft legal
manual would appreciate any input
* The legal strategy is your job too let's be thinking about solidarity
and what it will look like over the weekend
* We need volunteers especially on Friday
VI. Working Groups Meet
VII. Working Group Report Backs, Next meeting times
* Needs phone bankers: Mara to hold phone banking session on SUNDAY,
contact Mara at 783-0129 to help out
* Need organizations to mail out thousands of the new broadsheets
* Next meeting: 1640 Hobart Street, NW, 7 pm, Monday, September 16
* contact kate at freedomrising.org
* We need personal stories of people affected by IMF/World Bank, people
coming from out of town for the protests. Know anyone coming from out of
town willing to talk to press?
* Next meeting, Tuesday, Sept 17, 1530 P St, 7 pm
* Contact dglevy at cepr.net
* We need bikes for the unpermitted action, if you have bike to donate,
email gumdrop130 at hotmail.com
* We need cardboard delivered to Takoma Park, Nadine's house
* We need people working on the permitted rally and unpermitted
* We need people to come out this weekend to Nadine's to help work on props
* Next meeting: Thursday, Sept 12, AFSC DC, 2211 14th St, 7:30 pm
* Need someone to bottomline the welcome center Sept 25-26-27, contact
Madeline if you want to do this.
* Next meeting will be posted on email soon
* We meet by phone. Contact Casey or Rob (rob at essential.org) to get involved
* 2 house parties this weekend. Some needs. Alix needs dance music
(forthewild at yahoo.com). Joey has a lot of folks coming that don't know
much about MGJ. Need people to talk up the mobe. Needs folding chairs, and
a grill. 3pm Saturday! See email for details.
* Need people to raise money day of the 28th. Casey needs people to help
him do this.
* Next Meeting: tomorrow, Thursday, Sept 12, Public Resource Center for
Activism and the Arts, 1730 Connecticut, 2nd floor, 7:30 pm
* Need food donors, kitchen contacts, space contacts, medic station space,
* Need housing really bad. Very easy to post to globalizethis.org
* We need translators the day of and for literature in various formats.
* We need people desperately only 5 of us working on this
* Next Meeting: Monday, Sept 16, 6 pm , in DuPont circle near the statue!
* We need more people, housing, supplies. We need drug and alcohol free
housing Sept 16 --.
* We don't have a space yet.
* We've grown a bunch since April 2000 but we're actually now without space
for the convergence. Asking if people know of possible locations to have
the IMC for the protests. People with office space? We don't need
equipment, just SPACE. chrisstrohm at yahoo.com
VIII. Next Meeting
Next general meeting of the MGJ is next Wednesday, 7:30 pm, September 18,
2002, St. Stephen's Church.
Next facilitators: Joey Hipolito and Mara Vanderslice
Teach In for Global Justice in DC, Sept. 25 - 27, see www.50years.org for
Global Justice Film Festival, Sept. 18 - 26, see www.50years.org for schedule
Rainbow Push March/Rally for civil rights this Friday, info.; Need people
to show up, pass out materials. Details coming out on email.
MGJ is sponsoring event on September 24 along with local 25. 3:30 pm in
front of Reagan international trade center. MGJ event be there!
One year from today, WTO, Cancun, Sept 10-14, 2002
Next Tuesday, Visions theatre, 1927 Florida Ave, 9-11
Social forum happening on 9/29. www.dcsocialforum.org. One forum is
Strategies Against the World Bank. Stay tuned.
Nadine: Peace community organizing rally on Sunday, Sept. 29. March at 2 pm
from somewhere to somewhere.
World Bank Bonds Boycott
Center for Economic Justice
733 15th Street, NW, Suite 928
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: (202) 393-6665
Fax: (202) 393-1358
More information about the mgj-announce