[mgj-discuss] Teach In Schedule for the 4/13 Teach-In
Zein.El-Amine at MWAA.com
Tue Apr 9 14:36:18 EDT 2002
TEACH-IN TO UNITE THE FIGHT FOR PEACE AND GLOBAL & LOCAL JUSTICE
Had enough of Bush's racist policies that attack the poor and roll back civil liberties? Are you worried that the U.S. is perpetuating dangerous and racist policies in the Middle East?
Wondering how bombing women and children in Afghanistan is going to stop terrorism? What about the escalating situation in Colombia? What is the Bush Administration trying to do there?
Do you want to know more about how the IMF and the World Bank exploit people around the world and keep them trapped in poverty? And how does all of this affect you, here, in Washington, D.C. - a city where we don't even have representation in Congress?
Why are thousands of people coming to DC April 20th-22nd to protest???
Come to a teach-in on these and other important issues and learn what we can do about it.
Saturday, April 13, 12:30pm-5:00pm (see detailed scheduled below)
UDC, Van Ness Campus, Building 38, Student Lounge, 4200 Connecticut Ave, NW
Schedule for the day:
12:30-1:30 pm Opening Session
The April 19-22 Mobilizations in DC:Why Are We Protesting? 1:45-3:15 Workshops, Speakers:Rob Weissman- The Mobilization For Global Justice, Maria Ramos- A20 Mobilization, Gail Talyor- Columbia Mobilization and Rami Elamine- Committee In Solidarity With The Palestininian People
1:45- 3:15pm Workshops
1) The IMF and World Bank: Fighting Corporate Globalization in DC and Abroad Speakers: Njoki Njehu, 50 Years Is Enough and Vanessa Dixon, DC Health Care Coalition and Obert Chulu
2) Bush's War in Afghanistan and the "War on Terrorism" Speakers: John Steinbach- DC Coalition To Stop The War Against Iraq, Dawn Corbett and Bruce Cooley of DC Anti-War Network (DAWN)
3) Defending Civil Liberties Speakers: Yaser Bushnaq, Solidarity USA and others TBA
4) The "War on Drugs" in Columbia and in the US Speakers: Orlando Herran, Colombian Trade Unionist and Melissa Moore, Critical Resistance
5) Crisis and Resistance in Palestine Speakers: Dina Shehata, Stop US Tax-funded Aid to Israel Now (SUSTAIN) and Deborah Hyams, Jews for Justice in Palestine and Israel (JPPI)
3:30-5:00 Final Plenary
What Are We Fighting For? Speakers: Roxanne Lawson- Black Voices for Peace, Orlando Herran- Columbian Trade Unionist, Deepak Bhargava- National Coalition For Jobs And Income Support, Sherry Wolf- International Socialist Organization and War Cry- NYC Anti Capitalist Convergence
Sponsored by the Mobilization for Global Justice and endorsed by the DAWN
www.globalizethis.org, www.unitedwemarch.org, www.colombiamobilization.org
From: Robert Weissman [mailto:rob at essential.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 3:59 PM
To: Crystal Sylvia; El-Amine, Zein
Subject: teach in
Is there an electronic announcement for the teach-in available? Seems
like we need to start buzzing that around asap.
More information about the mgj-discuss