[mgj-discuss] Come protest World Bank pulp mills on the Uruguay river
rob at essential.org
Thu Nov 9 08:45:40 PST 2006
Sameer Dossani <sameer at 50years.org>
Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:34:03 -0500
mgj-discuss <mgj-discuss at lists.mutualaid.org>
The attachments (one in Spanish) have better formatting.
*No to the Papermills on the **Uruguay River**!__*
*Protest In Front of the World Bank in **WASHINGTON** DC!*
Thursday November 16^th - Pennsylvania & 18th St NW
Everyone to the Bank!!!!
The World Bank wants to finance two multinational enterprises to export
their contaminating pulp mill industries to the beautiful beaches of the
The Bank is set to vote on November 16th on whether to finance or not!
We need your help that same day to stop this investment!
Facts you should know:
* The conflict is MANIPULATED BY MEDIA as a "bilateral" dispute
between Argentina and Uruguay, but this is really about
multinational enterprises against local communities;
* This is FINLAND's *LARGEST FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT EVER* and it
will ruin the Uruguay River and its beaches;
* An Uruguayan Prosecutor is investigating the environmental permits
for the project on grounds of *IRREGULARITIES AND BRIBES *to
* The Bank's Ombudsman confirms that the project *FAILS TO COMPLY*
with the World Bank's Social and Environmental Safeguards;
* The project is in *VIOLATION OF INTERNATIONAL LAW*;
* The conflict has resulted in the *WORLD'S LARGEST ENVIRONMENTAL
* The economic interests of two multinational corporations are
*DETERIORATING THE FRIEDNLY RELATIONS *between Argentina and Uruguay.
/We need your help to oppose these illogical, harmful and unwanted
investments and to convince the World Bank not to give financial support
to these projects that do not even comply with their own social and
environmental safeguard policies. /
/sus propias normas de protección social y ambiental./
*/COME BE A PART OF THIS HISTORICAL SOCIAL ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT!!!/*
More information about the mgj-discuss