[mgj-discuss] [Coalition] Outreach WG notes from 9/11/2007
dylanpetrohilos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 10:48:03 PDT 2007
Maybe, there should be a breakaway march at some time?
O M <thelastwaltz8 at hotmail.com> wrote: Hi Legba,
Personally, I don't think we're a-ok fine with that. The march on Saturday,
as I understand it, is a permitted march, intended for everyone, including
people who can't risk being arrested. Therefore, I think associating any
sort of direct action with the permitted march should be discouraged.
I think, as we discussed in the action working group, that people in
interested in doing direct action and interested in working with us, who
want our support, should be encouraged to take part in the Georgetown
action, and not to plan competing actions. I also think it's worth
clarifying that the meeting Saturday evening isn't necessarily to plan any
more actions, but rather to assess where we are, and give out any necessary
info about possible arrests/etc.. If everything goes well on Friday, then
the possibility exists that people will decide to take some action at that
>From: "Legba Carrefour"
>To: "Basav Sen"
>CC: October coalition ,mgj-discuss
>Subject: Re: [Coalition] Outreach WG notes from 9/11/2007
>Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:06:47 -0400
>I have a clarifying question regarding the march on the 20th. Many
>people have been talking about doing blockades of some sort on the
>20th and I've been in contact with them through doing my SDS outreach
>work for that weekend and I'm trying to figure out how to respond to
>it. Are we a-okay fine with that? Is there an opportunity for some
>sort of direct action to be folded into the march that day? Or should
>I just keep saying what I've been saying--that at the moment we're
>focusing on having people doing DA for the Friday action in Georgetown
>and then having a spokes on Saturday to see if people want to do DA
>thanks and sorry for the curious squirrel questions. DC-SDS is trying
>to nail down its outreach for that whole weekend
>On 9/16/07, Basav Sen wrote:
> > Outreach Working Group notes
> > 9/11/2007
> > URGENT: Outreach Working Group needs more people! Please contact
>outreach at octoberrebellion.org if youa re interested in helping. This
>working group handles both local and national outreach, so a lot rides on
>the success of this group.
> > A. Next outreach meeting:
> > Special outreach meeting for systematic outreach to all area campuses.
> > Tuesday 9/18 evening, 8 pm, 2020 F St. NW #921 (GWU campus).
> > B. Wheatpasting:
> > Mon. 9/17, meet at 8 pm in the 50 Years is Eough office, 3628 12th St.NE
>(near Brookland metro). Please bring bucket and paint roller if you have
> > C. Permitted Action Working Group meeting:
> > Outreach WG proposed and the Coalition consensed to set up a
>permitted action working group, to work on the details of the October 20
>march to the World Bank and the People's Tribunal.
> > First meeting Saturday 9/22, 11 am, Ruth's house. (Ruth to send out
> > D. March
> > 1. Ruth and Nicole to meet with National Park Service. (Any updates on
>how the meeting went?)
> > 2. Hope to start at Franklin Park.
> > 3. Both Empower DC and Save Our Schools want to target Federal City
>Council on the way.
> > 4. Ruth to ask Jesse about a bank (such as Bank of America or Wachovia)
>we could target on the way because of predatory lending connections.
> > 5. Proposed march route:
> > (a) Start at Franklin Park.
> > (b) Step off to the North, i.e. K St. and take a left (i.e. go West).
> > (c) At McPherson Square, take a right on 15th St.
> > (d) Stop at 15th and M (1156 M St.) to yell at Federal City Council.
> > (e) Turn left on M St.
> > (f). Turn left on 16th St.
> > (g). Take a right again on K St.
> > (h). March up to 18th St.
> > (i). Take a left to head down to the World Bank/IMF.
> > Note that we may be making another stop, at a bank.
> > 6. Ruth to look for a stage, and to ask NEAN for their sound system.
> > 7. Basav to ask Guerrilla Poets for their sound system.
> > 8. Setting up a permitted scenario working group, see C above.
> > 9. Important tasks for permitted march working group:
> > (a) Complete and realistic schedule of the events from start to finish.
> > (b) MCs, musicians, etc.
> > (c) Visuals (puppets, signs etc.)
> > (d) People's tribunal detailed plan defendants, witnesses, judges.
> > (e) Sound system and stage logistics.
> > (f) Comms network.
> > (g) March guides.
> > E. Teachins to build up for the actions
> > We decided we would offer teach-ins/trainings to groups in the
>Washington DC area who wanted to host them. They would do the logistics and
>the outreach, so all we would need to do is show up. (With a good plan, of
> > We can offer the following types of eeducational events, based on our
> > (a) A straight-up teach-in on the IMF and World Bank, may be tying to
>some specific issue (such as immigration), may be with a documentary film.
> > (b) An interactive popular education style workshop on neoliberalism,
>the IMF and World Bank.
> > (c) An interactive popular education style workshop on social movements
> > (d) Skills trainings on action, street theater, media, and more.
> > Followup:
> > 1. Basav to write up an offer of teach-ins/trainings to circulate.
> > 2. Ruth to coordinate NYC teachin with KAFT et al. Will include local
>NYC speakers (on immigration issues etc.), speaker from Cambodia, and one
>person from the Coalition.
> > 3. Basav to contact Dylan Petrohilos in Rockville about doing a teachin
> > 4. Ruth to ask Nadine about doing a popular education training on
>neoliberalism as part of the series of trainings that Nadine is putting
> > F. Big teach-in
> > 1. Potential speakers from the Global South
> > (a) Dennis Brutus from Jubilee South Africa
> > (b) Ly Pisey from WAC, Cambodia work on organizing low-wage women
>workers, sex workes, etc.
> > (c) Marielos Pleitez Carcamo from Trade Union of Nursing Workers of El
> > (d) May be someone from Ecuador working on water privatization.
> > (e) May be more Africans.
> > Note that because of timing, not everyone may be in town yet when we do
>the teachin. Besides, not everyone from the South gets visas/is able to
>come. Dennis Brutus and Ly Pisey are already in the U.S. at this point.
> > 2. Local speakers
> > It would be a great idea to do a certain amount of "issue pairing", i.e.
>get people who work on similar issues as each of the speakers we have. We
>should especially start thinking of people from low-wage women workers'
>struggles and nursing/home care workers struggles (since we have people
>from these sectors from the Global South).
> > 3. Format
> > We haven't yet reached a decision about whether we should do a panel, or
>break up into groups with paired presenters (one international, one local).
>They both have their pros and cons. Flagged as a MAJOR ITEM for Outreach WG
> > G. People's Tribunal
> > 1. Basav to keep following up with Empower DC, Save Our Schools, and
> > 2. Ruth to talk to DC Alliance for Immigrant Justice/Sonia
>Umanzor/Mexicanos Sin Fronteras (about putting ICE and/or PW County Board
>of Supervisors on trial); Eugenia/Shirley Pate (about putting the UN on
>trial for Haiti massacres); and Asantewaa (about trying predatory lenders).
> > H. Website
> > Outreach WG decided to propose two specific things for the website at
>the coalition meeting. Both of them were consensed on by the coalition, one
>with some modifications:
> > 1. A "registration form" on the website where people can sign up to say
>that they're coming, and how many people they're bringing.
> > 2. A calendar where people can post their local events (consultas,
>teach-ins, meetings etc.) building for the mobilization. This will include
>a feature that notifies a moderator of posts, and the moderator has to
>approve each post. (I forgot who volunteered to be the moderator at
>Saturday's coalition meeting.) It will also include a disclaimer that the
>moderator reserves the right to reject events that do not promote the
>mobilization, and that the coalition does not implicitly endorse an event
>merely by its being on the calendar. (Dan will write the disclaimer.)
> > _______________________________________________
> > Coalition mailing list
> > Coalition at octoberrebellion.org
> > http://octoberrebellion.org/mailman/listinfo/coalition
>"Papa Legba, ouvri barriè pou nous passer..."
>"He makes a beautiful woman,
>and an even more beautiful terrorist."
>Coalition mailing list
>Coalition at octoberrebellion.org
Can you find the hidden words? Take a break and play Seekadoo!
mgj-discuss mailing list
mgj-discuss at lists.mutualaid.org
free hosting by http://www.mutualaid.org
Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on Yahoo! TV.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the mgj-discuss