[Mintwood-place] Protecting Pedestrians at 14th and Irving
jim at grahamwone.com
Mon Sep 18 06:57:06 PDT 2006
As we transform the vacant lots in the area of 14th and Irving, over the
next two years, there are going to be significant issues of pedestrian
safety as well as congestion. I met recently on these issues, and I want
to pass along to you some of the steps DDOT is now taking. I would
appreciate your response.
For those driving east and west, I would suggest that you consider
alternate routes to Irving.
Bests Councilmember Jim Graham
Here is the report of the 8/24 meeting which I just recently received:
Traffic Congestion & Pedestrian Safety
at 14th, Kenyon and Irving Streets, NW
Notes from Strategy Meeting
On August 24, 2006, Councilman Jim Graham convened a meeting with
concerned residents of Ward 1, developer/construction site project
managers and representatives from the District Department of
Transportation to discuss Columbia Heights traffic congestion and
pedestrian safety issues at the intersections of 14th Street NW with
Kenyon and Irving Streets NW resulting from the high density of
Action Items Resulting from the Meeting
* DDOT appointed Edward Reeves (202/478-1450;
edward.reeves at dc.gov) as its liaison;
* DDOT adjusted the traffic signals at 14th and Kenyon Streets to
ease traffic flow on Kenyon St. westbound;
* DDOT posted speed limits of 25 mph at Monroe and Kenyon Streets
for southbound and northbound traffic on 14th Street;
* DDOT will work with contractor to get a left-turning lane on
west-bound Kenyon to facilitate left turns onto southbound 14th Street;
. DDOT will add a crosswalk and work with DCPS to have crossing
guards on Irving Street, NW, east of Hiatt Place, NW;
* DDOT will explore options for adding a new crosswalk on Park
Road at Hiatt Place;
. DDOT will rework loading zone between Irving and Kenyon to
alleviate congestion of Metro passengers;
* DDOT will recalibrate traffic signal times within the
construction zone and adjacent areas to take into account construction
* DDOT will post warning and detour signs in advance of
construction zone so drives can chose to avoid the area;
* DDOT will work with DCRA to permit night work to allow
construction to move more quickly;
* DDOT will review limiting the use of Irving from 16th to 13th
Streets to buses, emergency vehicles and pedestrians only for the
duration of new building construction in that area.
The developers/contractors will:
* Assure that the temporary pedestrian walkway on the south side
of Irving, west of 14th Street, is six feet wide as required by DC code;
* Work with DDOT to increase the height of the Jersey barrier on
Irving east of 14th Street to prevent pedestrians from leaning into
. Move flag person from east to west of Irving Street, NW/Hiatt
Place, NW intersection;
* Construct a canopy over the SW Columbia Heights Metro station.
I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after
that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there
is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.
Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105,
Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).
Chairman, Committee on Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. Main Committee
Number: 202-724-8198. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #112, Washington, DC 20004.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Mintwood-place