[NE-anarchists-an] REMINDER - Sacco & Vanzetti commemoration today!
laursene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 10:40:08 EDT 2002
Our symposium last night at St. Joseph's Church was a big success - great attendance, and NPR's Margot Adler was there to tape it for today's "All Things Considered." We also received another endorsement, from the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. So PLEASE FORWARD THIS to any potentially interested parties, and be there at Union Square, 5pm-9pm!
SACCO-VANZETTI COMMEMORATION COMMITTEE
339 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10012 (Room 202)
saccoandvanzetti at ziplip.com
Press Contact: Eric Laursen, (917) 806-6452
August 21, 2002 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SPEAKERS, PERFORMERS CONFIRMED FOR
SACCO-VANZETTI 75TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATION IN NYC
NEW YORK - Grampa Al Lewis, host of WBAI Radio's "Al Lewis Live," will emcee the mass rally and commemoration to be held this Friday, Aug. 23, of the 75th anniversary of the executions of Italian-American anarchists Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti. Also speaking will be Charles Barron, City Council Member - District 42.
The Sacco-Vanzetti Commemoration Committee has announced the names of speakers and performers to appear at this Friday's mass rally and commemoration, as well as speakers for the symposium to be held the previous evening, Thursday, on the relevance of Sacco and Vanzetti's ordeal and death to today's struggles for freedom and justice. The Sacco-Vanzetti Commemoration Committee was organized by members of New York City's anarchist community; the symposium is co-sponsored by the Libertarian Book Club.
Speakers and performers at the Friday event will include Paul Avrich, distinguished professor at Queens College and author of Sacco and Vanzetti: The Anarchist Background; Pam Africa, for the Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition; the Living Theatre, who will perform their award-winning play, Not in Our Name; Debbie Almontaser of Justice for Detainees; punk rock bands MDC and Team Spider; and poet Vittoria Repetto. Thursday's teach-in will feature Sidney Solomon, painter, social observer, activist and publisher; Mary Anne Trasciatti of Malia (coalition of progressive, feminist Italian-American women); and spoken-word performer Kris DiLorenzo.
See below for complete programs for both events. Also contributing to Friday's rally and commemoration will be the American Civil Liberties Union, the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee, the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), the Pakistani-American Action Committee of North America, and the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.
The symposium will be held at 7 p.m., Thurs., Aug. 22nd at ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH, Washington Place (northwest corner of Washington Place and Avenue of the Americas in Greenwich Village). The mass rally will be held from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Fri., Aug. 23rd, at the south end of UNION SQUARE (at 14th Street).
"Everything should be done to keep alive the tragic affair of
Sacco and Vanzetti in the conscience of mankind."
- ALBERT EINSTEIN, 1947
# # # # #
Speaking and Performing at Fri. Aug. 23 Mass Rally and Commemoration
* Grampa Al Lewis, WBAI radio host, "Al Lewis Live" (emcee)
* Charles Barron, City Council Member - District 42
* Paul Avrich, professor at Queens College and CUNY Graduate School
* The Living Theatre
* Debbie Almontaser, Justice for Detainees
* Leonard Peltier Defense Committee (speaker TBA)
* Pam Africa, for the Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition, New York City
* Steve Ben-Israel, musician/performer
* Vittoria Repetto, poet
* MDC and Team Spider, punk rock bands
* Luisa Marino and Lucia Colombaro, music and spoken word
* Italian-Americans for a Multicultural United States (speaker TBA)
* Susana Cook, performer
* Jennifer Guglielmo, Malia
* Benjamin Ferguson, Industrial Workers of the World
* Dr. Ubaid Shaik, writer and community activist
* Mohammed Saddiq, Pakistani-American Action Committee of North America
* Tupac Amaru, Jr., DJ
Speaking at Thurs., Aug. 22 Symposium
* Sidney Solomon: A remembrance of the historic Aug. 23, 1927, Union Square rally against Sacco and Vanzetti's execution
* Mary Anne Trasciatti, of Malia, and Assistant Professor, Hofstra University: On the Sacco-Vanzetti Defense Committee as a model for radical organizing today
* Kris DiLorenzo: Performing Vanzetti's final speech before his execution
* Speaker TBA from the Coalition for Human Rights of Immigrants: On the current struggle in behalf of immigrants' rights
Some changes may be announced prior to each event.
# # # # #
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ne-anarchists-an