[NE-anarchists-an] Ecuador Solidarity Network reality tour, Apr 24 -
laursene at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 17 12:01:17 EST 2003
You're invited to join the Ecuador Solidarity Network on a reality tour for Americans who want to know first-hand about the struggle of Ecuadoran agricultural workers against multinational ag producers and the threat to indigenous peoples and the environment from expanding mining operations. (Personal note: This is an amazing group of activists who are working closely with Ecuadoran labor groups on some remarkable projects. They deserve everybody's support!!) Details and contact info below.
Please forward widely!
Ecuador Solidarity Network
Delegation to Ecuador:
"May Day, mayday: The Bananas We Eat and the Labor That Produces Them"
Ecuador is the world's largest banana exporter, with an estimated workforce of 365,000. Companies like Del Monte, Dole, Chiquita, and Bonita make billions. Workers average $35 a month. Child labor is rampant. Attempts at organizing are met with harsh repression.
Join the Ecuador Solidarity Network, in conjunction with FENACLE (one of Ecuador's leading labor organizations), in solidarity with the few workers who are challenging the system, trying to organize, and demanding their rights to livable working conditions.
When: April 24th - May 3rd
Cost: Estimated $500 (not including airfare, which averages around $600)
- Meet with workers at Los Alamos and Rio Culebra plantations, who were recently featured in a Human Rights Watch Report and New York Times article.
- May Day March with banana workers and other labor groups through Ecuador's largest city, Guayaquil.
- Meet with the powerful Electrical Workers Union, who, in 2001, successfully organized against government moves at privatization.
- Meet with current Minister of Labor and representatives from the new administration, including CONAIE, the indigenous organization that, after recent elections, now shares power; and with the U.S. Embassy.
- Plan Colombia and FTAA (Free Trade Area of the Americas): Meet with Human Rights organizations about the impacts of Plan Colombia on Ecuador.
Contact: David Kneas, david at ecuadorsolidarity.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ne-anarchists-an