[RaisingTheBar] Coalition updates

Nicole de la Torre NdelaTorre at justdetention.org
Tue Dec 13 12:40:47 EST 2011

Final DOJ PREA standards at OIRA

As we mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the final standards have gone to
OIRA (within the Office of Management and Budget). We have not gotten
confirmation on what is in this draft but will provide any updates if
they become available.

Applying final PREA standards to immigration detention facilities

As we've also mentioned in previous updates, three additional letters
have been sent to the Obama administration. We've linked to each for
your records. The first is the NPREC Commissioner's letter that
Coalition member Pat Nolan coordinated. The second is the Human Rights
Watch led effort to update the White House on developments in this area.
The third is the just sent Congressional letter from Mr. Scott and Mr.
Wolf (co-signed by XX original House PREA sponsors).

NPREC letter: http://www.justdetention.org/pdf/NPRECimmigration.pdf

Letter to the White House:
http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/12/07/us-all-immigration-detainees-deserve-
protection-rape

Congressional letter: http://www.justdetention.org/pdf/congressprea.pdf
<http://www.justdetention.org/pdf/congressprea.pdf>

All three letters were highlighted at Wednesday's standing room only
briefing: the Prison Rape Elimination Act and Sexual Abuse in
Immigration Detention. The briefing resulted in increased media interest
in the issue. We've linked to several stories below and JDI's summary to
provide additional context.

JDI overview:  http://www.justdetention.org/en/listserv/2011/120811.aspx

Huffington Post article:
http://www.justdetention.org/en/jdinews/2011/12_07_11_2.aspx

Univision video (in Spanish):
http://univisionhouston.univision.com/videos-noticias-univision-houston/
video/2011-12-08/abuso-sexual-en-centros-de

NY Times Editorial:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/opinion/a-broken-dangerous-system.html
?_r=2

LA Times Editorial:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-prea-20111212,0,6780
165.story
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-prea-20111212,0,678
0165.story>

Help Send 1,000 cards to survivors spending the Holidays behind bars
http://bit.ly/rI7lLN. JDI has already received over 600 messages, please
help us reach 1,000 by sharing the link to our campaign with your
supporters.

As a reminder, we can include information about any ongoing campaigns
your organization has in our next email update so please feel free to
send me that information.

Nicole de la Torre

Program Assistant

Just Detention International